Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Piston slap and 6 cyl engines?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevemeeters

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Grand Rapids

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:11 PM

Hello, we're looking at used Outbacks and drove a couple yesterday. One was a 2001 with the 6 cyl engine in it. It sounded great and ran great. The other was a 2001 with a 2.5L 4 cyl engine. As soon as I started it it went tick, tick, tick ... for about 5 minutes, then sounded fine after that. From what I've read this didn't sound like the "slap" but I'm not sure, it sounded more like a lifter.

What I'd like to know is if Subaru fixed the slap problem in the 6 cyl engines and what does piston slap actually sound like?

Thanks, Steve

#2 sea#3

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 06 February 2005 - 09:10 PM

You probably have heard "piston slap" with the H4 , but piston slap isn't an issue for the H6 . They have a different bore and stroke configuration ,which is why they don't tend to do the piston slap noise

#3 Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:00 AM

Piston slap sounds like a Diesel engine. Clack-clack-clack.

I get it every morning....

#4 Scoobaroo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 07:35 AM

6's don't have the slap. (longer piston skirts, smaller bore, etc.)

A 2.5 4 cyl. will almost always have the slap with 20k+ miles. Don't worry about it as long as it goes away within a few minutes.

Engine noises are fatal in a Ford or a Chevy. Japaneese engines just seem to make noises happily for hundreds of thousands of miles.

#5 stevemeeters

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Grand Rapids

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:08 PM

Just a quick followup - The dealer's top Subaru tech turned out to be a good friend of a long time neighbor. He listened to the engine and said yes the car has a slight case of the slap, but he thought everything else sounded normal (01, with 31K). He then started up a '97 so I could hear what slapping really sounds like. It fit Setright's description of sounding like a diesel. I took it to the shop who works on my other cars and they confirmed what the dealer's tech said.

Anyway's we ended up buying the car the other night. I now realize this is the 4th Subaru we've owned - '78, '80 (new), '86 and now '01.

#6 ron917

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:23 PM

Just to put your mind at ease, I've got an old Volvo that's had piston slap for the past 210,000 miles. It sounds like an old school bus on a cold morning, but it runs just fine. It's not something to worry about unless you can't stand the noise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users