Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Piston slap and 6 cyl engines?

Hello, we're looking at used Outbacks and drove a couple yesterday. One was a 2001 with the 6 cyl engine in it. It sounded great and ran great. The other was a 2001 with a 2.5L 4 cyl engine. As soon as I started it it went tick, tick, tick ... for about 5 minutes, then sounded fine after that. From what I've read this didn't sound like the "slap" but I'm not sure, it sounded more like a lifter.

What I'd like to know is if Subaru fixed the slap problem in the 6 cyl engines and what does piston slap actually sound like?

Thanks, Steve

6's don't have the slap. (longer piston skirts, smaller bore, etc.)

A 2.5 4 cyl. will almost always have the slap with 20k+ miles. Don't worry about it as long as it goes away within a few minutes.

Engine noises are fatal in a Ford or a Chevy. Japaneese engines just seem to make noises happily for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Just a quick followup - The dealer's top Subaru tech turned out to be a good friend of a long time neighbor. He listened to the engine and said yes the car has a slight case of the slap, but he thought everything else sounded normal (01, with 31K). He then started up a '97 so I could hear what slapping really sounds like. It fit Setright's description of sounding like a diesel. I took it to the shop who works on my other cars and they confirmed what the dealer's tech said.

Anyway's we ended up buying the car the other night. I now realize this is the 4th Subaru we've owned - '78, '80 (new), '86 and now '01.