Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator replacement?

I'm wondering if it may be time to replace the radiator in my 89 GL-10 turbo. I have been having an intermittent engine hesitation/shaking problem for some time now that I haven't been able to get rid of. I have tried all sorts of stuff to get it to go away and now am thinking that the cooling system may be causing some of the problem. The shaking happens when I am going up hills at 50mph or faster. The engine temp gauge (digital) is not reading red, but under the hood the engine just seems to be scorching hot! I've heard that the digital gauges can be a bit wacky at times. Does anyone think that swapping out the rad would help. I've had the car about 5 years, flushed the rad once. Recently, in hot Northern CA, I've been hearing the coolant boiling in the rad after I turn the car off. Any advice would be nice, including tips on swapping out the rad. I read the info in the repair page of this board.

to pull the radiator, taking off the clutch fan is recommended. you may have to remove a small metal shroud from the radiator, if it is there. on the shaft of the fan, there is a flat spot that you can get on it with 7/8" wrench, use a 10mm to take off the 4 nuts that hold on the fan. they might be hard to break free, or may want to round off, make sure you have hood tools. an S*K brand box-end wrench fits perfectly.

there is a drain plug on the bottom driver side of the radiator.

on the front just above the grille, there are 2 12mm bolts that screw into the top of the radiator, take them out.

unclup the electric fan wires. you can pull the radiator with the electric fan still there, ore you can remove it first. your choice.

as far as the shaking around goes, like going up hills, it may have to do with something electrical. sounds like it could be timing, a knock sensor. its a good place to start for diagnostics.....