Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Everyone!

Here in Canada, DRL are compulsory and since the early 90's all cars come with them. Mine comes from the US so it didn't have DRL originally. To make it Canadian legal, the importer rewired it so that when I turn off the engine the lights go off, even if the switch is on. So leaving the switch always on did the trick.

Now all of a sudden today, the parking lights stay on all the time, even with the engine and the light switch off , unless I disconnect the battery.

Anyone knows what went wrong?

TIA

By an chance were you cleaning your car?????? You have accidently switched the parking lights on , the switch is on the centre steering wheel console between the turn signal switch and the wiper switch Just flip it the other way

SEA#3

By an chance were you cleaning your car?????? You have accidently switched the parking lights on , the switch is on the centre steering wheel console between the turn signal switch and the wiper switch Just flip it the other way

SEA#3

I feel sooo stuuupid! That was it!!

But I should say that this is a terrible design. I can easily see someone not even noticing that their lights are on and draining their battery. Or worse, thinking there is a short in the car and having a dishonest mechanic take advantage...

What's the purpose of having an additional switch for the parking lights anyhow?

Anyway, many thanks.

I feel sooo stuuupid! That was it!!

But I should say that this is a terrible design. I can easily see someone not even noticing that their lights are on and draining their battery. Or worse, thinking there is a short in the car and having a dishonest mechanic take advantage...

What's the purpose of having an additional switch for the parking lights anyhow?

Anyway, many thanks.

a short summary of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (in effect since 1969): "a vehicle exterior lighting system must be operable to make vehicle conspicious on the road.......at all times" (ignition on OR off).

Since Subaru has chosen to wire headlamp/marker lamp circuit thru igniton side of electrical system (supposedly to PREVENT leaving lights on after vehicle is shut down), the switch on top of the steering column is required---to make marker lamps operable with ignition off.