Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A question for Brus Brother regarding transmission hesitation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 arbee524

arbee524

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:30 PM

I have a 2000 Legacy L and am experiencing the same transmission hesitation problem going into drive, and it has recently become worse. You mention in several posts about a TSB for "transmission delayed engagement (defective seal)". I followed your link to the NHTSA TSB web site, but the closest problem I could find was under "POWERTRAIN" and read "TRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT (TCU) CODE 45 AND ALL-WHEEL DRIVE HARSH ENGAGEMENT." Is that the one you were talking about? or is there someplace else I should look. Is it possible the TSB was removed?

I'm bringing the car to Subaru this Thursday and wanted to have as much info as possible before I go. The car has just over 60K (60,800) miles so I don't know if they will warranty whatever they find wrong.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

#2 arbee524

arbee524

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:52 AM

bump

#3 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,927 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 08 February 2005 - 06:04 PM

I have a 2000 Legacy L and am experiencing the same transmission hesitation problem going into drive, and it has recently become worse. You mention in several posts about a TSB for "transmission delayed engagement (defective seal)". I followed your link to the NHTSA TSB web site, but the closest problem I could find was under "POWERTRAIN" and read "TRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT (TCU) CODE 45 AND ALL-WHEEL DRIVE HARSH ENGAGEMENT." Is that the one you were talking about? or is there someplace else I should look. Is it possible the TSB was removed?

I'm bringing the car to Subaru this Thursday and wanted to have as much info as possible before I go. The car has just over 60K (60,800) miles so I don't know if they will warranty whatever they find wrong.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Sorry I didn't see the message until just now. Always best to send a Private Message through the board if you want to contact a member. Look at the top right corner of your screen and see under Private Message. I've even been successful getting a moderator to contact a member when they hadn't enabled e-mail or PM contacts on their profile.
Basically, the mechanic was able to diagnose it here at Dan Perkins Subaru in CT. based on symptoms. He confirmed it with a test drive and then gave the knowing look to the service manager of "yup, another one". It had to do with a seal not sealing and defective hydraulics within the trany as a result. Hopefully you are still covered under the 5yr/60K drive train warranty or can make the case that it has been going on for a while but only got so bad that you thought to complain. Send me a PM if you need further clarification. The following post might also relate to your problem.
I never knew to even look for a "code".
G'luck

Make : SUBARU Model : LEGACY Year : 2000 Manufacturer : SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. Service Bulletin Num : 166602 Date of Bulletin: MAR 15, 2003 NHTSA Item Number: 10001352 Component: POWER TRAIN Summary:
Posted Image TRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT (TCU) CODE 45 AND ALL-WHEEL DRIVE HARSH ENGAGEMENT. *TT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users