Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Subaru Owner

Hey all just thought id drop a line say hi. i just got a killer deal on a 86 Brat. minimal rust, runs top, just needed some breaks. i dont know a darn thing about them though. so ill pry have lots of questions that have been asked before please bare with me.

what id like to do with it is get a touch bigger meatier tire, keeping the stock 13inch wheel(any info would be great) and set it up for some wheeling. it just looks like a fun little toy, and bein 4x i couldnt pass it up. i seen threads about takeing them through rubicon.... is that for real? awsome. anyone have any cool pics of beefed up Brats?

anyways enough yappin your ears off... great site keep up the good work. my email is alboy4x4@yahoo.com any insite or pics are apreciated.

later.

:headbang:

from one Ed to another, Welcome Aboard!

Yeah, at least put the location and type of Subaru in your bio, saves time.

Do you have any tools and wrenching experience?

Get a book and start getting familiar with your new baby.

I highly recommend changing the oil, filters, (and I mean all of them) coolant, and topping off all fluids.

A complete tune-up is next.

As far as tires goes, I find the 185-80s work best on the 13" rim for moderate off roading.

Give the search engine a try, but don't be scared to ask a question. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

:burnout:

Indeed, please update your USER CP area to include your location instead of "HERE. "

You gain a lot by sharing this information believe it or not. Guys that might have a set of wheels/tires for sale cheap, the chance to go meet a few people from here to see what their Brats look like after doing modifications, etc.....

185 80 R 13 snow tires are as big as you will find with the 13" rims.

I know a guy that is running around on the spare tire rims that are 15" rims with 185 70 15" tires mounted on those thin little rims. Apparently very hard to mount on a tire machine....he owns his own repair shop and only does this for his personal vehicles....safety reasons along with it being difficult keep him from doing it for others along with it being an insane idea that I find rather pointless since 14 and 15" peugeot rims and the many 6 bolt rims that you could utilize are available, safer, and easier along with not looking silly. But he is a creative sort of guy and it didnt cost him a penny.

Please also check the USRM at the top for info on tires and other repair/upgrade projects and use the search here as well, amazing what you will find.

Sorry bout the lack of info, i updated it. about the wrenchin time, yeah i got a ton of it. about my location, in the woods in white cloud michigan. as for the tires, i think im gonna re evaluate my choice to stick with the stock rims. i might just have to get a bigger rim. how easy can you find them for this bolt pattern? anyways... sorry about the horrible intro post, rookie mistake. ill see what i can do about gettin my own pics up here soon:brow:

Ed

Popular USMB Rim choices are:

Re-Drill 6 lug truck rims. Some makes/models are better than others for the offset....

Peugeot 504 or 505 offer a good match in offset and are the same 4 lug bolt pattern. This is the only other car out there with the same bolt pattern as an 80's or below style Subaru (except Justy the Justy ones are 4x100?, not the same).

There are a few rare 14" Subaru wheels that were made by aftermarket companies.

Some people have converted the hubs from 4 bolt to the 5 bolt stuff from a Subaru XT6 but I don't think it has been done on an ea81 yet. The front would be the problem not the rear as this would be just as simple as a rear disc brake upgrade commonly done here on Ea81 Subaru's.

The 185 80 R 13 snow tires are actually pretty sharp looking on an unlifted Subaru but treadwear would be poor at best especially in the summer on pavement.

Look at the wheels page on our Ultimate Subaru Website too.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org then click on Subaru's of the 80's and click on 4x140 wheel page.

yeah... im about 45 min north of Grand Rapids. My nephew who off roads with me lives in GR.

my next question would be where do i find info on lift kits for these brats? ive seen some pics of some peoples on here and they look sweet. :headbang:

ed

Hey guys !! I'm a new member also who just picked up a 85 brat.

Smokin deal!! One spot of rust size of a quarter with a brand new clutch for 250$ Only catch was , had to put motor back in. Kid pulled motor to drop in clutch and lost interest. seats are bad and carb is getting a serious over haul, it sat in the rear of the bed exposed for TWO YEARS! DROPPED IT ALL IN AND IT PURRED!! Just wouldn't do anything when you gave it gas.. Anyways have been checkin this awsome site out every nite and was blown away with all the different mods done to such a little car.12" lift on a hatch WAY COOL!! I feel like alittle kid who found a piece of candy on the ground and then realized he was standing in the doorway of a candy store. I want my subaru to be just like yours!!:banana: :banana: :headbang:

Glad to see another Michigan Sube owner on the board. I'm not to far away from you, 'bout 3 hour drive. We'll have to get together one of these weekends. Any good sources of parts up your way, as in Salvage Yards. Kinda scarce around me, Sucks!! I'm relatively new to the world of Subaru's, but I'm learning. This board is an excellent source of info, and helpful ideas. I'll be happy to assist with any questions you have on working on your ride. Send me an email, addy is in my bio. Later.....