Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible Intercooler Temperature Thermometer

Hello guys,

I was looking for a voltmeter of sorts to hook up to the 02 sensor to monitor air/fuel ratio (Yes, I'm nuts). Browsing around at the Radio Shack site, I came across this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=63-1039

63-1039.jpg

It's only $15.00 and it can monitor two types of temperatures. Since it can monitor two temps, I'm assuming there are two probes. Only issue is to how much heat these things can take. I wouldn't think it's overbuilt to the point it can take 250F temps but you never know. I'm doubting it but just in case it can withstand sub 300F temps (the probe), couldn't something like this be used to monitor before and after intercooler temperature?

"This handy thermometer displays the temperature both inside and outside your vehicle in large digital numbers, making it easy to read at a glance as you cruise down the road. Plus, the built-in voltmeter lets you quickly see if your battery or charging system is working improperly, so you can fix any problem before it has time to become serious and possibly leave you stranded. As an added security feature, the Ice Alert function notifies you with light and sound if the temperature outside is cold enough to produce icy roads and hazardous driving conditions."

What do you think?

Dagnabit! I call Radio Shack but there's nothing on the box the thermometer comes in that states what temps are safe to use this product in. I'd guess because they wouldn't expect you to put it in an oven or freezer or something. :rolleyes: Ahh...it seemed cheap and cool so I was willing to try it out.

hmm for $15 it might be worth a shot, is a cool idea and looks like it can go 3 digits. Just because something wasn't designed for a particular use doesn't mean it might not work...I use that saying alot when talking about subarus. You would think it would have a manual inside the box that should state it's specs including temp range, but maybe not.

Check out the Megasquirt pages and look for the sensor they recommend for the Megasquirt. It is a standard GM sensor and pretty cheap. It is basically a resistor that changes the resistance as the temperature changes, just like the coolant one, but this one is faster to react.

The resistance/temperature curves are probably shown there somewhere...

I was thinking of getting a digital temp gauge from the computer store. You can find some pretty nifty ones for CPU's with little LED read outs, but that one looks alot better and more proffessional.

i bet that would fit pretty good in the hole where the buttons for the trip computer thingy used to be! i should look into that...

Kevin,

I have two of those units installed in my wagon

the max temp is 155 deg F.

One has probes

1) in the folds of my K&N filter.

2) glued to the throttle body above the butterfly.

The second unit has it's probes

1) on the back side of the intercooler under the hood scoop

2) in the inner fender (ambient temp)

The second probe you ask about is soldered to the PC board.

If you plan to unsolder it and move it, the correct wire type must be used

(type J thermocouple wire).

The cig plug powers the light only (mine is connected to

my dash lights. I tapped it into the ash tray light.)

I have a Fluke lab digital (powered by a small inverter) on the dash extension for H20 and oil.

You've seen my dash, it makes you sick you said.

No wait that was my lump.

Hope this helps.

Check out the Megasquirt pages and look for the sensor they recommend for the Megasquirt. It is a standard GM sensor and pretty cheap. It is basically a resistor that changes the resistance as the temperature changes, just like the coolant one, but this one is faster to react.

The resistance/temperature curves are probably shown there somewhere...

Is this sensor that you speak of, the factory IAT(Intake Air Temperature) Sensor? If so, I'm in luck because I have a factory IAT off of a '99 GTP in my shed.

But I too have a question. Wouldn't a mechanical water temperature sensor(ex: Sunpro) w/ temp. probe work? I realize that it wouldn't have instantaneous reasults, but it would give you an idea of what the temps are like in the piping and it threads in which would seal off any potential boost or vacuum leaks.

It looks about the size of a coolant temp sensor, but has an open cage with the sensor inside. It is threaded the same as a coolant sensor.

It's about $20something for a brand new one.

Is this sensor that you speak of, the factory IAT(Intake Air Temperature) Sensor? If so, I'm in luck because I have a factory IAT off of a '99 GTP in my shed.

But I too have a question. Wouldn't a mechanical water temperature sensor(ex: Sunpro) w/ temp. probe work? I realize that it wouldn't have instantaneous reasults, but it would give you an idea of what the temps are like in the piping and it threads in which would seal off any potential boost or vacuum leaks.