Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 carb running like crap

So I bought another 86 GL wagon carb'd for 250 bucks

Got the thing running, but it runs really rough. ITs got a remanufactured carb on it. kid musta just put it on, till shiny. I found he hooked up one of the vacumn lines into the carb so it was sucking all the fuel out of the carb. He also had the choke spring on the wrong side of the choke, so when you hit the gas, the choke acutally closed instead of opening.

The kid also had the idle mixture screw turned all the way in. How many turns out should it be at? I set it at 1 1/2 turns out.

Had a plugged 2nd cat, so I unhooked the exhuast at the tranny. It still running rough.

It wont rev past 3 grand, and when you really stomp on it, it feels like its running out of fuel. it start to stumble really bad. Its got a clean filter on it. The kid had the filter off and the pump unbolted cuz he thought his pump was bad, when it was really just a frozen fuel line cuz he got a batch of bad gas.

So what I did to it was temporarily plugged all the vacumn lines so its just like my carb'd EA82, and it still wont REv like it should. driving it, it seriously lacks get up and go. I seafoamed the carb today, and it seemed to help a little bit.

Anyone have any ideas on things to check or what may be going on?

I'd like to get rid of this thing soon so I can pay my rent, so I'm going all out to get it running good.

It sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. The carbed EA82's are prone to developing vacuum leaks because they have so many vacuum hoses. But it looks like you plugged them.

Rebuilt Hitachi's have been known to be faulty, so I would not rule that out either. Your mixture setting sounds about right.

If the kid messed with the timing, that may be suspect too.

well I did the carb fuel pressure test.. fuel comes out when you crank on it with the fuel line disconnected.

What about theh float test kelly? how do I do it

I reset the timing as soon as I got the engine. would it being too retarted make it not rev out?

yeah there is still a lathrop highschool.. They got decent sports teams this year...

Anyways, front swaybar helped understeer on gravel, and gave me prolly an inch of travel in the front. The swaybar keeps the control arms and struts linked together. with out the sway bar, its completely independent from end.

You mentioned the possibility of timing being too retarded. When I first started up my engine after rebuilding it, the timing was a tooth advanced and it ran like crap, similar to but not quite as bad as you describe. I'd verify correct timing before doing too much else.

The float setting procedure should be a service manual. I'm not sure if generic ones would have it though.