Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Move your jeep to the side, SUBARU coming through!

newsance

I just got back from an AWESOME weekend with my little beaterwagon up in the Collegiate Peaks in Colorado. This was my first real off road experience in it, and let me say, OH MY GOD.

I started in the Chalk cliffs area by St. Elmo, and started up hancock pass. My goal was to get around the other side of the divide to see the Alpine Tunnel Restoration, where one of the highest railroad crossings over the divide is located at 12,000 some feet.

I had heard ugly things about Hancock pass, and it is rated 6-7 out of ten in most books. Still, I wanted to have fun, and see how far I could get.

Well, the trail is not that well marked, and at one turn, I had to ask an ATV going the other way if I was on the right path. He told me I was, but I'd never make it in that...

"Not to worry sir, this is a SUBARU." :D

In 4 low and away we go! The subaru handled it with ease, climbing up some serious inclines, 8" shelves, tons of climbs covered in loose shale, and lot of other technical sections. Even funnier was the number of ATV and Toyota/Jeep vehicles that were passed along the way, most with an amazed look as the subaru scrambled right up the passages that caused them to pause and muster courage. I caught several shaking their heads, doubtlessly thinking they would be pulling me out further up.

After reaching the descent on the far side, I took my first glance at Tomichi pass, and had to keep going. This is often referred to as an ATV only trail, as it is very narrow, and the mountain drops of a near vertical 1000' below the trail. Once again, the subaru kicked rump roast and took names. At one point, the leader of an ATV pack told me "Good thing we're here, so we can help you when you get that thing stuck!" I told him it was a good thing I was here too, So I could pull his group up the next hill. Heh.

After Tomichi pass was over, and we had conquered to 12,000 foot 4x4 passes in one day, we proceeded to go over several smaller passes on better graded dirt roads till we got to the Pitkin area. We climbed up and back from the Alpine tunnel, and by this point, a solid late season rain/sleet was pouring down from the higher elevations.

Not to stop us with the experience under our belt, we saddled up in the subaru again for a climb up cumberland pass to Tin, cup, another 12,000 foot ascent.

From there, it was over Tin Cup pass back to St. Elmo, all in the pouring, pouring rain. Even with the rain, the subaru handled itselt wonderfully, although the stream crossings became a bit more "interesting" when swollen with rainwater. The puddles on the trail grew, until the trail was simply a pile of rocks with mud in between.

So, after 80 straight miles on rough dirt trails, the subaru pulls in, with the only damage being a slight graze to the passenger side rocker panel.

The beaterwagon clicked over 214,000 miles on the trip. Even funnier is that I drove 130 miles just to get there from colorado springs. How many people would even trust their 200k+ mile vehicle to take deep into the mountains, let alone on the areas most difficult 4x4 trails?

I am most definitely a convert, as this is the most fun I have had in quite a while. Go subaru!

Oh yeah, my vehicle is a 1985 Dual Range, with the only mods being a fuilly raised (stock) suspension and 185/80-13 all season tires.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Haha, Subaru vs. Jeep... do I have a story about that :brow:

Going to a rock concert means that you will be parking in a giant mudpit. No questions asked. So when I was leaving, I started traversing this muckpile to find a 2000 Jetta stuck in it. He cautioned me to not go in, that I'd get stuck :lol:

After cruising through it, my friend in his lifted with swamper tires 2WD Cherokee *snicker* tried to pull the Jetta out. He did nothing but spin tires. I came back through the muck again and rigged up to the Jetta and yanked him out in a couple seconds.

:moon: :moon: :moon: :banana::headbang::clap:

I think that my Subaru wagon does great on snowy streets, but I choose one of those "Toyota/Jeep" vehicles for 4 wheeling. Hancock pass is a fun road, very scenic. Not very rough by Colorado standards though. Actually it is rated a 3.

http://4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=61

Let's go 4 wheeling, I'll take my truck, you take your wagon. I'll bring the digi cam and we can do a write up. I think it will be fun.

Here are some pics from the trail I ran last weekend, Coney Flats. It is rated a 4. That is me in my 210,000 mile all stock Toyota.

Is this too rough for a Subaru? What do you guys think? I wouldn't try it it mine, but I don't like to tear things up. I'd like to see if a Subaru can make it. Lifted or not. Any one want to give it a try? Any of you Colorado guys?

Obsticle1

Obsticle2

Originally posted by Alliturken

That sounds like a lot of fun. Take some pics next time and post 'em for us!

Hehe, when I get home, I'll try to remember to attach some pics I took of the car the next morning... People gawked at me in amazement driving down the road!!!

Toybuilder, that is a very cool 4x4 site. I just saved it in my faves. I like the way they have the trail info organized. Also, some of the pics in there are really incredible!

I don't really know where the limits of a Subaru are as a rock crawler, (I'm more of a dirt/gravel road "slippy" guy). But some of the stuff in the pics on that site look darn well impassable in anything that does not have mega suspension travel and bombproof axles, joints, diffs. Anyone who could get thru that in a Scoob would truly be my hero!

I like the old Toyo truck, btw.

A non-lifted sube would probably get undercarriage damage if you pick the wrong line, But with a lifted wagon w nice off-road tires it would be no problem, especially with an lsd or welded rear. My favourite trail around my place is called Harbourview, It is mostly rocky like in those pics, but fairly level, and once and a while you reach a huge rock-climbing obstacle. I had no troubles running it in a single range turbowagon, with welded rear. Did better than my friends scout, who was dragging his diffs over all the boulders.

Here are some pics of stuff I made it through

cleavage rock

The view of the Sooke Basin

Those are nice pics....fun looking trails and beautiful area. (BTW, I was rafting up near Whistler a couple months back....how far away is Sooke? I realize BC is a huge place.)

I am just learning about the technical rock crawling stuff. Never have done it...nothing serious, anyway Just rocky washes and what not. But the more I see and read the more interested I am. I'm sure our Scoobs are capable of some incredible things, and I'd like to lift one and try it. Still, I'm guessing that for the really ridiculous stuff, you'd need more vehicle. Then again, I'm a newbie at it, so what do I know. It'd be cool to see someone fabricate custom control arms, shocks, axles, etc., to push it further than no Scoob has gone before. And, hang with a purpose-built truck, obstacle for obstacle.

That's odd, I don't see any Subarus in those pics.

There is no line for a stock Subaru through that spot, as far as I can tell. No way through except to go over those two big rocks, in a non lifted Soob you will drive your bumper straight into the rock on the passenger side.

I didnt say I saw any in Scoobs in the pics (?)....that's why I was talking about fabbing one to the hilt to go where any Jeep/Truck/Crawler could go. 'Cause the terrain looks like a lot of fun.

ok I just went back and re-read my earlier posts. Nope, I didnt say I saw any Scoobs on the 4x4 site with the Jeep pics. I did say: "Anyone who could get thru that in a Scoob would truly be my hero!" "Could/Would", not did, are the important words here. I'll try to be more clear next time.

I didnt say I saw any in Scoobs in the pics (?)....that's why I was talking about fabbing one to the hilt to go where any Jeep/Truck/Crawler could go. 'Cause the terrain looks like a lot of fun.

Sorry Alliturken, my reply was meant for Bushbasher, I should have been more clear. If someone could even get a stock Soob to that obstacle, they would be my hero.

Suzukis can be built to be very capable. Thay are small, light, and manuverable. Lots of aftermarket parts available too.

Morgan: I am asking Bushbasher for pics of his vehicle straddling that crack. The comment about the stock Soob is in regard to the picture of the obstacle that I posted, and this comment fom Alliturken:

I don't really know where the limits of a Subaru are as a rock crawler, (I'm more of a dirt/gravel road "slippy" guy). But some of the stuff in the pics on that site look darn well impassable in anything that does not have mega suspension travel and bombproof axles, joints, diffs. Anyone who could get thru that in a Scoob would truly be my hero!

I believe he is talking about the picture that I posted.

Yes, I was talking about the first pics you posted as well as others on that 4x4 site, toybuilder.

Having said that, I also enjoyed bushbasher's pics, and would love to see pics of a Scoob making it up that crack like the Jeeps and Samurai. Stock or not, that would be pretty impressive.

Honestly, Looking at that picture, I don't think my wagon would have an issue getting over that. If thats indicative of how the rest of the trail is, I wouldn't mind trying it.

Suprisingly, on every trail I went on, the weaknesses of the wagon were not what I expected. I expected ground clearance and traction to be the weak points, but the wagon made it over some impressive obstacles without scraping. I also never really had a problem where the tires wouldn't grab, even in the mud after the rain. Of course, I never was in a position where I had tires off the ground, which would bring up the traction issue real quick with the open diffs. At least I think my rear is open, I guess I don't know....

The shortcoming I found was power. Even in 1st in 4 low, It would get very close to stalling out on the really steep stuff. Granted, I was asking a lot of an 87 HP 4 banger at 12,000 feet, but it's definitely the limiting factor.

I agree with you Alliturken. I enjoyed the pics, thanks for posting them Bushbasher. I enjoy all types of offroading pics, especially the ones that the Hatch Patrol guys post. I'm not making any judgements about anyone's vehicle. I'd just like to see pics of them in action. I'd post some action shots of my Soob but I don't really drive it off-road. I have tried to take it on many of the trails that I "bash" my truck along, but it just hasn't worked out for me. I can "bash" my stock truck over some extremely rough stuff and still drive it home. I'd like to see pics of people driving Subarus, modified or not, in conditions like those in the pics I posted of me driving my truck. I said that I don't do it, not that it can't be done.

One other thing: The desciption of the Hancock pass trail seems to end right where the trail pulls off of the smooth, gentle railroad grade into the actual pass.

Near the summit of Hancock Pass, the trail opens up to alpine meadows and the townsite of Hancock.

Today there is nothing left save a single structure, the town saloon. Trailheads from here lead to the Alpine Tunnel, and Hancock Lakes.

That area is WAY below the actual pass, and is very, very easy, to the point where virtually any vehicle can make it up to at least the bypassed railroad bridge. I'm not sure if that rating is even factoring in the pass section.

In any case, the trail rating system seems to differ from book to book, person to person. I noticed Rampart Range on there with a 4, what? Thats a nicely graded 1 1/2 lane dirt road.

Reading the description of ratings, I think Hancock pass realistically would be a 5, and tincup a 4. Both had frequent rocks and holes like those listed, and easily 15% grades in spots. I saw several books that listed Tin Cup as a 6 and Hancock a 5, as well as other even higher...

Tomichi pass I would rate a 6. It's very dicey for a larger vehicle, has frequent large sidehills, a large bog crossing, and larger than 12" rocks. I wouldn't say the rocks were frequent, though.

I guess what I am saying is that I trust the word of somebody that has been on the trail more than what the books say, as with the variance I've seen, a "3" trail can be anywhere from a 2 lane road with washboards to 3 foot tall rocks spaced with 3' mud bogs.

newsance: when do you want to go 4-wheeling? I can head down towards the Springs, or you could come up this way, or we could meet somewhere else in the state. I go wheeling almost every weekend. I think it will be a good time. You can give me some schooling on off road driving. I'll bring my truck the first time. Let's go to the trail I posted pics of. Very scenic views of Sawtooth mountain, great camping, etc.

Like I said in my first post in this thread I have been up to Hancock Pass. I have been on many other trails in the state and generally trust the information contained in the link that I posted, with respect that is is user submitted and individual results always vary.