Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Purchasing extended warranty after purchase

Has anyone purchased the new car extended warranty after having the car for a while?

I own a used 02 OBW with 33k on it that just suffered a BHG. If I purchase the new car gold plus extended warranty from the dealer in the next 3k miles it will cover the car until 100k. The cost is $1375.

What are your thoughts and experience with this?

My confidence is so seriously shaken in Subaru. I keep thinking that more unkown damage was done when the HG blew.

I hope SoA knows that they have a public relations nightmare on their hands.

Ack! Could sure use some advice.

Has anyone purchased the new car extended warranty after having the car for a while?

I own a used 02 OBW with 33k on it that just suffered a BHG. If I purchase the new car gold plus extended warranty from the dealer in the next 3k miles it will cover the car until 100k. The cost is $1375.

What are your thoughts and experience with this?

My confidence is so seriously shaken in Subaru. I keep thinking that more unkown damage was done when the HG blew.

I hope SoA knows that they have a public relations nightmare on their hands.

Ack! Could sure use some advice.

Did you already fix the HG problem or are you going to buy the warranty for that? If you already shelled out the $ and fixed the HG, I wouldn't buy the warranty.

Personally, I think $1375 sounds high. Your car's only 3 years old. If it covers you 'til 100k miles, you're only buying 70k worth of warranty.

I'm sure others here will chime in with great advice, but my 2¢ would be to NOT get it and just keep up with routine maintenance.

-Ed

An extended warranty is nothing but a very expensive insurance policy. And, like most insurance policies, there are more loopholes for them NOT to pay, than there are things to go wrong on your car ... and that's assuming that the underwriting company will still even be in business if your car breaks someday.

Far better to figure out how much that $1300+ adds to your monthly payment and put that amount into a dedicated savings account. If you need repairs you've got some money put away. If not, you're well on your way to a new car downpayment, your kids coollege fund, or dump it into your IRA.

I wouldn't ever buy an warranty policy.

even with the headgasket fixed who is to say that it isn't going to fail again.

extended warranies cover more than the h/g anyway. If you have the money in bank to pay for other repairs then don't worry about it but if you figure that you could easily spend thousands if the transmission fails, abs or a number of other things and the contracts are pretty clear about what they cover and how to process a claim and if your service department does their job they will do everything they can to get the repairs done that is how they make money

Speaking of headgaskets... be wary of the warranty. I did a lot of research on those 3rd-party insurance policies ("extended warranties") and found that many of them did not cover gaskets unless it had to be replaced during the normal repair of some other internally lubricated part, and that the repair would not be covered if it was caused by a bad gasket.

I bought my '96 wagon used on eBay and opted to spend an additional $200 for a 1yr insurance policy on he drivetrain. It does cover gaskets, and, actually, most "normal" drivetrain failures, and since it was an eBay car, I figured it was worth an extra few bucks since I couldn't physically inspect the car myself. I wouldn't have paid much more for the insurance, though, since I could, like someone else said, easily put the money in a savings account and waited for something to break. But I figured that since even with the insurance I was pretty solidly under book value, it was probably a cheap peace of mind.

your head gaskets should be covered by subaru untill 60k atleast and maybe even 100k if it was part of the goop recall, this is one suirus problem subaru has been having but overall their cars have been very reliable and you shouldn't have any issues.