Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can someone point me to timing procedure?

Its for an 88 ea82t awd 5spd. I had to replace the cam cover and put the disty back in. I did a search but am having a hard time finding the procedures for doing timing from ground up, as in replacing the disty, when to put the disty in in comparison to marks on fly wheel and cam sprockets. I did a search and am having a hard time finding the procedures. Anyone have a link to the procedure on this site or others, likes milesfox ;)

Thanks

To time the Disty, you don't worry about cam sprocket timing they are separate from each other....

To do the Disty, pull the inspection cover on the Block at the bellhousing......Turn the engine over by hand till you come to timing marks on the flywheel....You want the set of Marks that read 20B 10B ( 0 ) 10A 20A ( A meaning after Top Dead Center) and ( B meaning Before Top Dead Center.....)

You Want the 0 mark to be on the pointer at the inspection hole.....with this in position, take the disty with rotor in place and stuff it so that the rotor is Pointing directly at # 1 Plug wire location in the cap.....# 1 Location on an EA-82 Anything is going to be on the rear Of cap just to the driver side of screw or clip on the cap......If you are careful you will get it right first try......if it happens to be out 180 degrees,it will pop and cough, but not run.....

in this case pull cap off , turn disty to #1 again then pull it out and stick it back in on #2 which is directy opposite of 1 on the cap.......:)

this should get you running...if it runs/idles but wont accelerate, it is a tooth off in the disty, repeat the first step and be double sure the rotor/cap are lined up directly on #1....

have fun, hope this helped,

Mods....Archive....????

John.......

when observing the cam sprockets, after the belts have been installed, you can locate TDC from the passenger side cam, the dot will point to the top ridge across the center of the valve cover, you can use this mark to verify you are not 180 deg off

here is the timing belt procedure it runs through the belt sequence one full course then align the disty

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/subaru/service/timingbelt.htm