Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Replace Front Wheel Bearing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 juxtaposed

juxtaposed

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Springfield

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:06 PM

I have a 2000 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon, and it was just confirmed that my drivers side front wheel bearing is shot (The GF drove into a very steep driveway at 30+ MPH and slammed the tire). The car is way out of warranty and the cheapest place I found that would do it is still over $400. Is this something I can do myself in the driveway? and if so, do I need any special tools? Thanks.

#2 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:15 PM

Woah, find another shop if you can't do it yourself (I didn't). We had the left side done on our '00 Legacy, and it only came to about $215.00, including realigning the front end.

#3 juxtaposed

juxtaposed

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Springfield

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:24 PM

Thanx, tell me about it, that's huge money that we just don't have right now. Im gonna keep calling around, but would just as soon do it myself if I can. I've done bearings on other older cars in the past, but nothing as new as a 2000, so I am concerned that it may be more then I can do.

#4 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:52 PM

A couple ways to do it:

Remove the knuckle and have a shop press out and replace the bearing and then have an alignment.

Spend $300 or so on the tools (Hubtamer).

See if you can rent the tool.

See if someone responds that bought the less expensive Harbor Freight bearing tools. Not sure if they will work alone.

A lot of board members have done this and may be able to offer additional help. So far I've only needed to to a rear.

#5 joeo

joeo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Sterling, Va

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:47 AM

I recently did this on my 1990 Legacy wagon. It wasn't too bad - bought a new bearing and had a local shop press it in. Took some pictures and notes of the process. Hope you find it helpful:
http://www.lovehorse...el_bearings.htm

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:28 AM

wheel bearings can be tricky for a number of reasons. if you want to save money, buy the bearing (subaruparts.com maybe, super cheap) and take the hub to an automotive machine shop. they should pack it and install it for about 50 dollars. then install the hub yourself. removing the hub is easy and straight forward (In my oppinion) compared to wheel bearings. i did this last year and they charged 100 dollars to do both front hubs.

#7 JT95

JT95

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • Bowling Green

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:45 AM

Had the same deal on my 95 wagon recently. A couple of folks mentioned removing the knuckle yourself and then have a machine shop press out the old and in the new bearings. Pressing them out can be a bit of a trick and you'll bust your tone wheel if you aren't careful--that's assuming you have a hydraulic press yourself. Let a shop do it--it won't take them any time to put it on the press and they won't charge much because they don't have to fool with disassembly/assembly because you're doing that.

#8 unibrook

unibrook

Sube1

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • Boston

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:26 PM

Grossgary has the right idea. This will be least muss and fuss. My bro and I did our '82 GL wagon bearings all the way around. It is doable. Go slow, be careful...you will get there.

wheel bearings can be tricky for a number of reasons. if you want to save money, buy the bearing (subaruparts.com maybe, super cheap) and take the hub to an automotive machine shop. they should pack it and install it for about 50 dollars. then install the hub yourself. removing the hub is easy and straight forward (In my oppinion) compared to wheel bearings. i did this last year and they charged 100 dollars to do both front hubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users