Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NGK hands down. The FSM calls for them and subes just seem to run better on them than anything else. We changed the champions out of Wagonpowaa's brat and it ran better. Took the Boschs out of my T-wagon and it ran better. Replaced whatever was in Lepetitprince's brat and it passed emissions.

NGK LASER PLATINUM

BADASS! period!

Did a basic tune-up on my 2.2L Legacy today and threw some NGK's Laser's in there & a new fuel filter & oil change with AMSOIL SYNTHETIC, then took it for a spin.. SHE'S AWAKE & PISSED OFF!

*note* not saying the spark plugs alone woke the car up.

Denso makes a good standard "U-groove" plug (comparable to the NGK V-groove), but I don't care for their iridium plug.

The SOA sales brochures for '05 show iridium as standard equipment in the turbo motors, and platinum as standard in the N/A motors. Not sure if they're still using Chumpion's or not.

I know I am going to get blasted for this, but 40000 miles ago I put basic Autolite plugs in my 2.2, and they have performed perfectly. I inspect them about every 15000 miles, and they have not had much wear. I just replaced them with Autolite platinum with no problems.

They were inexpensive at Wal-mart, and they seem to work fine. Granted, I am not racing or offroading, but I have had reliable transportation, excellent fuel economy and easy starting.

Personally, I have a feeling that the spark plug debate is probably similar to the oil debate... Use whatever you're comfortable with if it works well for you.

Matt

dont waste your money on Bosch plus, the platnum 4's, any time in the normal driving rpms the spark hits the side not the end of the probe, its only upper RPM it hits the end, also the bosch's that have more then one electrice probe, or per say split fires, are a waste because they thake up the area around the electrodes, meaning that its less air/fuel mixture to be around that spark energy, meaning less spark distribution.

if you want plugs that will last and be best bang for your buck, get NGK's or Denso platnum or iridum plugs for our cars.

bosch plugs are made for AIR COOLED ENGINES ONLY.

if you want more information on this please PM me.

I know I am going to get blasted for this, but 40000 miles ago I put basic Autolite plugs in my 2.2, and they have performed perfectly. I inspect them about every 15000 miles, and they have not had much wear. I just replaced them with Autolite platinum with no problems.

They were inexpensive at Wal-mart, and they seem to work fine. Granted, I am not racing or offroading, but I have had reliable transportation, excellent fuel economy and easy starting.

Personally, I have a feeling that the spark plug debate is probably similar to the oil debate... Use whatever you're comfortable with if it works well for you.

Matt

Actually, Autolite plugs are pretty decent. That's what we run in all of our gas-powered vehicles at work. I still like running NGK's in Japanese vehicles though.

NGK: Japanese Cars

Bosch: European Cars

Autolite: American Cars

Champion: Lawn mowers

The same set? Have you regapped them?

The same set. They are not "gappable". Very interesting plug. I haven't looked at their website recently (it was quite 'sparse'), but it does explain the design briefly. The main reason I decided to try them was to combat the carbon issue that the Phase I 2.5L engine has. *shrug* I may have helped a bit. Hard to know.

Just tried to go the website and it seems to have disappeared... ???

Commuter

NGK LASER PLATINUM

BADASS! period!

Did a basic tune-up on my 2.2L Legacy today and threw some NGK's Laser's in there & a new fuel filter & oil change with AMSOIL SYNTHETIC, then took it for a spin.. SHE'S AWAKE & PISSED OFF!

*note* not saying the spark plugs alone woke the car up.

I just looked up the NGK laser platinum plugs and sounds like platinum is on both center and ground electrodes. This should be good for subaru's wasted spark ignition system.

Where do you get them and for how much?

When I tuned up my 2.2 after buying my wagon, the parts store I got my stuff from did not have NGK plugs. I've never used NGK plugs, so it didn't seem like a big deal to me so I got four Bosch plugs. Then, a few weeks later I read a discussion on here about how you should only run NGK and that Bosch plugs could be bad for your heads. My car seemed to run fine, so I left the Bosch plugs in. I'm getting ready to swap them out now and am going with the NGK. Curious to see if I notice any difference at all.

When I had my El Camino on the road I ran Splitfire plugs and did notice a little bit of difference in better mileage. I didn't even assume they made those for a Subaru and someone told me those plugs only really make a difference in Detroit steel anyway.

I just looked up the NGK laser platinum plugs and sounds like platinum is on both center and ground electrodes. This should be good for subaru's wasted spark ignition system.

Where do you get them and for how much?

NAPA.. $12.50 a pop but thats an Alaska price.. Might be cheaper in the Lower 48!

THEY WORK beautifully man! Seriously! I paired them with new plug wires, they were kinda rusty.

NGK: Japanese Cars

Bosch: European Cars

Autolite: American Cars

Champion: Lawn mowers

I LOVE THIS GUY! LMAO!! LAWN MOWERS!

Sorry for double posting like this.. But He's got a point.. I used to run AUTOLITES and few degrees colder in my H22 delSol w/ a 100 shot of NOS.. the only reason?? Cuz they were dirt cheap to run on the track where they got destroyed every lap!! But on the ride home.. Please believe the NGK's went back in!