Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Head Gasket Questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Goatboy

Goatboy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:37 PM

1987 Turbo GL

Need to replace the head gaskets. What Gaskets are needed for this? Need a new intake gasket set too or JUST the head gaskets? How hard is this to do? If I choose not to change the gaskets I might just part it out.

GoatBoy

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,891 posts
  • WV

Posted 08 February 2005 - 06:25 PM

lower intake manifold and head gaskets are all that are necessary. the exhaust manifold gaskets are extremly resilient, so i doubt you'll need those. i replaced head gaskets twice on my XT6 (did it wrong the first time grr....), still using the original 207,000 mile exhaust gaskets and header with no leaks.

wise to replace the cam carrier reinforced o-ring as well. 2.45 from the dealer (or thepartsbin.com) and you only need 2, one for each side.

just did an EA82 last summer, very easy if you've never done it. wasn't bad at all. i'm used to the 6 cylidner ER27, the 4 cylinders are much faster and more room to work with. could easily do this in less than a day without air tools.

#3 Goatboy

Goatboy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 08 February 2005 - 06:37 PM

Thanks! I've never done them on a SUB before. Only Chev V8. So a set of Head gaskets, intake gaskets, and Cam o-ring huh? Who has the best deal on gaskets? Dealer?

GoatBoy

#4 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:16 PM

1stsubaruparts.com Call them rather than ordering online.

Use ONLY subaru headgaskets and intake manifold gaskets. As was mentioned, replace the cam carrier O-rings. Use Permatex Anaerobic Sealant to seal between the cam carriers and heads. Since you've got the cam carriers off, you should do the cam seals since they are prone to leakage. Also, remember to get rocker cover gaskets.

#5 hush777

hush777

More Subarus than Kids!

• Members
  • 391 posts
  • Idaho

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:01 PM

The cam carrier o-ring goes between the cam housing and the head and povides a positive path for the oil for the cam.

The o-ring is about 3/4 of an inch and is steel reinforced. You may need to be persistant when talking to a dealer parts hand to make sure you get the right one, and not a cam holder o-ring.....
Hush

#6 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:06 PM

http://www.ultimates...rticle.php?a=62

#7 Goatboy

Goatboy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for all your responses guys.

GoatBoy

#8 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,891 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:45 AM

the cam carrier oring part number from Subaru is:
13089AA010

you can also order it from www.thepartsbin.com i've ordered a number of them from these guys before and it's the correct part. they are the only aftermarket source i've seen for these orings. being on the EA82 though, subaru usually has them in stock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users