Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5-lug swap 88 GL-10T w/ legacy

I have a 88 gl-10 T and i want to do a 5-lug swap but want to keep the air struts can they work w/ legacy knuckles could you gring off the bractry on the bottom of the strut and weld a bracket for the legacy knuckle. This might be a stupid question but any info would be nice.

I have a 88 gl-10 T and i want to do a 5-lug swap but want to keep the air struts can they work w/ legacy knuckles could you gring off the bractry on the bottom of the strut and weld a bracket for the legacy knuckle. This might be a stupid question but any info would be nice.
Suabru made Legacys with air struts, you might want to try and find a set of those, then you can use the whole front strut and knuckle assy.

I'm gonna hijack this.....

So will Legacy struts and spindles work on a EA82? I realize the axles are different sizes and what not, but there has to be a way. I have a clean Legacy front clip at the shop (Hit very hard in the rear end) and I'd love to have that 5 lug setup on my wagon with some Outback sized tires on it...

I believe the legacy knuckles and struts will work on an EA82, but you need the XT6 control arms still..IIRC, you will need the legacy axles to go with it.

Plus you will lose your front ebrake

You still need the rear XT6 hubs to complete the 5 lug conversion

You also need a tranny with 25 spline stub axles, which is what a turbo tranny has, non-turbo and 3 speed automatics have 23 spline stub axles.

if you wanted to do all this with a non turbo tranny, say a 4wd d/r, 23 spline, you can swap the 23 spline "fat doj" fom a TURBO 3AT axle, ithas the larger diameter doj that will fit on a legacy axle, but it has 23 spline for the non turbo, non full time trannies

but only the 3at turbo axle doj will fit on the legacy/impreza/xt6 axle, for 23 spline

if you cant find an xts lower controlarm you can drill the ball join hole out, if you do so just make a stepped hole with different sized drill bits, to simulate the taper, as i did on my 5 lug gl-10

when doing the 5 lug swap using legacy knuckle and alxe and the XT6 lower control arm do i need the XT6 tie rod or can i use the legacy tie rod?

i've heard that legacy axles are 4mm longer than my 88 GL-10 T 4sp auto FT4wd axles and that should be taken up in the cv its self with no harm done is this true? will the axle fit my tranny i know they are both 25 spline but are they the same diameter?

what other alignment adjustment do the legacy have in the front that the ea82's dont besides the camed hole in the knuckle for camber adjustment?

what size rotors does the legacy come with stock and how big do they go and what size rims do you use? what are the calipers in the front and i heard that you can get sti calipers that will fit and how many pistons do they come with?

how hard and expensive is it to find legacy air struts that are good and will the front air struts work with my exsiting air suspension setup ( i would have to keep my rears since the legacy's wont work on the rear and are the computer and height sensors different between legacy and gl-10

1) when doing the 5 lug swap using legacy knuckle and alxe and the XT6 lower control arm do i need the XT6 tie rod or can i use the legacy tie rod?

2) i've heard that legacy axles are 4mm longer than my 88 GL-10 T 4sp auto FT4wd axles and that should be taken up in the cv its self with no harm done is this true? will the axle fit my tranny i know they are both 25 spline but are they the same diameter?

3) what other alignment adjustment do the legacy have in the front that the ea82's dont besides the camed hole in the knuckle for camber adjustment?

4) what size rotors does the legacy come with stock and how big do they go and what size rims do you use? what are the calipers in the front and i heard that you can get sti calipers that will fit and how many pistons do they come with?

5) how hard and expensive is it to find legacy air struts that are good and will the front air struts work with my exsiting air suspension setup ( i would have to keep my rears since the legacy's wont work on the rear and are the computer and height sensors different between legacy and gl-10

Ok, I numbered your questions to help answer them.

1) Either tie rod end should work, I used the XT6 ends on my conversions.

2) Yes. Yes.

3) I don't know of any, but you'll need to set the alignment like a XT6, not a Legacy.

4) I'm not sure, someone else should be able to answer this, but you should be using XT6 front brakes since they have tha e-brake up front, otherwise you'll have to do the not yet perfected rear e-brake conversion too.

5) Can you say "Big $$$$", in all the wrecking yards that I have seen Legacys in, I have yet to see one with air suspension. In the long run, it would be less expensive if you change to a non-air suspension during this conversion. That is a simple bolt up conversion and will probably cost less then the price of two front Leagcy air struts.