Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

bad heater core?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrfeh

mrfeh

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:35 AM

Hi folks.

I've got a 99 Outback; 3 or 4 days ago, the interior windows started to fog
up badly, accompanied by a bad smell. It appears as though coolant is condensing on the windows.

Engine temperature is fine, and the coolant level is full.

So, I'm thinking it's a leaking heater core. I'm wondering if there are any other problems that could cause the same symptoms?

Thanks.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,807 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:44 AM

if you're not loosing coolant, it should not be the heater core. heater core leak will smell like antifree, should be recognizable.

i'd check the carpet, seats and trunk for moisture leaking into the car. if the floorboards or trunk or some material in the carpet or seats is holding alot of moisture (from window being left open or flooding or something), the moisture will condense on the interior windows. and the bad smell will be mildew and mold.

#3 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:46 AM

the interior windows started to fog up badly, accompanied by a bad smell. I'm wondering if there are any other problems that could cause the same symptoms?

Thanks.

Had you just eaten a Super Grande bean burrito? THAT would explain it.

#4 mrfeh

mrfeh

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:53 AM

if you're not loosing coolant, it should not be the heater core. heater core leak will smell like antifree, should be recognizable.

i'd check the carpet, seats and trunk for moisture leaking into the car. if the floorboards or trunk or some material in the carpet or seats is holding alot of moisture (from window being left open or flooding or something), the moisture will condense on the interior windows. and the bad smell will be mildew and mold.

I've read it only takes a very small leak to cause the windows to fog up, so I don't know if there would necessarily have to be an obvious drop in coolant level.

They only fog up when the defroster is on, and then it's where the defroster vents blow on the windows.

It definitely has to do w/ the air being blown out of the vents and not a general condition of the air within the car.

#5 Smpol19

Smpol19

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Nothern, VA / Long Island

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:01 PM

make sure your controls aren't set on recurculate....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users