Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

5 speed MT clutch not slipping?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tracedog67

tracedog67

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cincy, OH

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:36 PM

Fellers,

About a month ago I posted my clutch was slipping and the RPMs flaring on just normal acceleration. Since the weather is just a litttle warmer the clutch hasn't been slipping hardly at all lately. I added Lucas transmission additive shortly after it started but I don't know if I can fully attribute the less slippage to Lucas or not. I was calling the dealer to price a new clutch install but maybe now I can put it off until i hit 250k miles. Any thoughts

thanks

Tdog
'97 OBW 239,855 miles 5MT

#2 subeman90

subeman90

Soobologist

• 2,786 posts
  • Akron PA

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:50 PM

Lucas has nothing to do with your clutch slipping or not. The clutch is a dry plate (or darn well better be) and the oil hopefully will never touch it (if it does you have other issues). As for slipping and not slipping....lucky you...keep driving and when it gets worse then replace it. save your money and run it till it really slips.

Matt

#3 powderhound

powderhound

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • SLC

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:51 PM

I too was experiencing slippage in fourth gear when the weather was much colder...about -20F. Now it is warmer and has subsided. Setright said it was the extreme cold effecting the friction coefficient of the clutch lining. A sign, he said, of age but not imminent failure.

Why would a transmission additive affect the clutch?
Is that your original clutch?

#4 tracedog67

tracedog67

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cincy, OH

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:27 PM

You're right, Lucas wouldn't affect the clutch at all. I bought the car at 182k miles from a small dealer. The previous owner was the original owner and drove 72 miles one way to work each day and i think it is the original clutch. I had the head gaskets done at 191k miles which isn't too bad either.

tdog

#5 unverviking

unverviking

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Spencerport, NY

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:18 PM

My 93's clutch was slipping in 5th while cold. Now that it has warmed up here, it has subsided. I kinda thought that maybe I got some snow pack into the clutch (not sure if there's an access hole for checking the clutch itself) after driving thru several big drifts.

Hopefully I can "nurse" it till the spring. Want to trade up to a newer (95-96) OBW with a 2.2 or an Impreza/OBS.

#6 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:22 PM

Well, nearing 250k miles, I would suggest the old adage:

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Opening an engine/gearbox, especially one that has racked up the miles, always involves a little risk. What might break during disassembly? What other things will you find wrong with it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users