Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roof Rack...?

Guest samo

Yet another question...

My Subaru needs a roof rack pretty bad, but it has to be able to carry in excess of 200lbs without complaining. I will be having a custom basket made for up there out of 1" thick-wall metal tubing, similar to SubaruTex's, but more akin for my needs. What do the factory roofrack mounts look like, and are they going to stand up to a 200lb load? If not, what are my other options? Permanent mounting is an option, although not my first choice. Anybody dealt with a heavy-duty rack like this before?

Thanks!

Guest MilesFox

are you talkin ea81 or ea82 racks?

on the ea82, the outer tracks are held on with tapped screws, and the inner 'ribs' are held on with rivets.

My buddy's ea82 sedan 2wd auto to 4wd 5spd conversion has the roof rack from an 88 wagon. it is held on with machine screws and nuts from the underside. he took the headliner out to access the underside of the roof. suppose you could rivet them in place also.

the worst you will have to do is take out the headliner to secure them nice and tight like mentioned above.

on my 83 wagon, with misc screws holding it together, manages a suitcase, some gas cans, blankets, and a duffel bag for 23oo miles without a problem. as long as the outer rails or the movable tracks can hold against rope and bungees, you should be alright

Guest calebz

I am not sure how much weight a factory rack will hold. I have always used Thule racks on my cars. Each load bar is rated at 150 lbs.

Guest Russ Hill

I added an EA82 rack to my daughters Chevy Tracker. I used well-nuts as fastners. No need to pull the headliner and the harder you pull on them the tighter they grip.

I really liked them.wellnuts on ebay