Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Timing belts but now does not run :( help

1988 Subaru DL I replaced the o-rings on my oil pump and decided to put in new belts because you have to take them off anyway. I consulted my Haynes manual for everything and I believe I did everything right but I can't get it going. It is as if I have belt(s) on wrong. It feels like one side is trying to go but the other is not. I made sure I lined up the three marks (not the timing marks) on the fly wheel and also made sure the Cam Sprockets indicators (blue paint and small hole) lined up with the notch on the plastic shroud. What have I missed? The Haynes manual talks of rotating the crankshaft 360 degrees after installing the first belt. I did this but I didn't see the point. Can anyone clue me in on what I may need to look for or what I did wrong. I did have to rotate the cam on the left side to get the marks to line up once or twice, but I didn't think this made a difference.

I am new to this forum, so I don't really know how active it is but I sure hope I can help others and hopefully someone out there can help me.

thanks in advance

-Preston in Spokane

the haynes manual can be obscure, a lot of people will argue the proedure is wrong.

the procedure is dscribed correctly, bu the pictures can be misleading, as it shows both cams pointing up. the cams will be 180 relative to eachi=other.

what the haynes book says about rotating the crank 360 degrees, it will make the driver side cam point down when you installthe passenger side up. common overlook due to the pictures!

anyway read this its noce and simple, cant go wrong!

www.warpthree.com/milesfox/subaru/service/timingbelt.htm