Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Timing belts but now does not run :( help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jfrederickson

jfrederickson

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:01 AM

1988 Subaru DL I replaced the o-rings on my oil pump and decided to put in new belts because you have to take them off anyway. I consulted my Haynes manual for everything and I believe I did everything right but I can't get it going. It is as if I have belt(s) on wrong. It feels like one side is trying to go but the other is not. I made sure I lined up the three marks (not the timing marks) on the fly wheel and also made sure the Cam Sprockets indicators (blue paint and small hole) lined up with the notch on the plastic shroud. What have I missed? The Haynes manual talks of rotating the crankshaft 360 degrees after installing the first belt. I did this but I didn't see the point. Can anyone clue me in on what I may need to look for or what I did wrong. I did have to rotate the cam on the left side to get the marks to line up once or twice, but I didn't think this made a difference.

I am new to this forum, so I don't really know how active it is but I sure hope I can help others and hopefully someone out there can help me.
thanks in advance
-Preston in Spokane

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,494 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:20 AM

the haynes manual can be obscure, a lot of people will argue the proedure is wrong.

the procedure is dscribed correctly, bu the pictures can be misleading, as it shows both cams pointing up. the cams will be 180 relative to eachi=other.

what the haynes book says about rotating the crank 360 degrees, it will make the driver side cam point down when you installthe passenger side up. common overlook due to the pictures!

anyway read this its noce and simple, cant go wrong!

www.warpthree.com/milesfox/subaru/service/timingbelt.htm

#3 jfrederickson

jfrederickson

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:26 AM

Wow this forum is great. I found that link doing a search right after I placed my first post and figured that is what I did. Now I can sleep tonight knowing that I can easily remedy the problem. Thanks again.
-Preston

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users