Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, First post. Took my 1994 SVX (base FWD model) to a dealer yesterday...for a wheel alignment.

He said my tires were worn so I didn't get the alignment but he did say:

(1) power steering pump, lines and rack leaking $2441

(2) rear separator cover leaking $808

(3) valve cover gaskets leaking $892

I am in DC metro area so things are very expensive around here.

I have some experience fixing cars but nothing major, .i.e. I have replaced brakes and rotors on my SVX, pretty easy. Can anyone comment on the ease or difficulty of doing these repairs myself. I am concerned about #1 and #2 mostly, but would greatly appreciate any info on any of these items. I have a Chilton's at home but they're pretty general and I haven't looked at it yet. Even if anybody knew a great Subaru mechanic around here would be helpful.

One last question...I had he tranny rebuilt last year at AAMCO It's almost out of warranty. Is the rear separator cover something that WOULD have been replaced when trans was repaired? Would appreciate ANY info. THanks.

<<Is the rear separator cover something that WOULD have been replaced when trans was repaired?>>

no, not usually. that cover is on the engine, the place that did the tranny could have done it to add some money to your bill, but its not part of the tranny.

whats the milage on your SVX? have you had the timing belt replaced? I can do those repairs for a fraction of what the dealer offered. E-mail me if you want some prices. thanks

subarueast@yahoo.com

Valve cover gaskets should be relatively easy if you are mechanically inclined. Real cover separator would require dropping the tranny. If it was leaking when you did the tranny, a good place would have recommended replacing separator and rear seal while they have the tranny out.