Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy Won't go into D and Speedo

I have a 99 Legacy that intermittently will not go into Drive on the auto transmission. The engines revs but the car just sits and does not engage. When you rev the engine higher it will "clunk" into gear or slip in and out of drive and buck a little until it starts going. Most of the time (80%) it just goes right into drive and is fine. Reverse is never a problem. Our local mechanic changed the AT fluid and filter but this has not solved the problem.

At the same time the speedometer intermittenly will stop working when driving.

Could these be related? I read on another post that the speedometer speed sensors can affect how the transmission shifts. Is this only while driving or could it affect the initial shift into drive. Why would revving the engine engage the transmission?

I've also read on other posts that dealers and mechanics recommend rebuilds or replacement of tranny when this happens. One guy spent the $$ on a new tranny yet the problem was not fixed.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

I can't comment on the technicalities, but having laid down a lot of money on a 98 forester with a manual transmission problem, I can say that I wouldn't do it again on any car with any kind of transmission. Two major repairs, neither done correctly, both very expensive, and I'll probably scrap the vehicle when this one gives up in 5 or 10k miles. I wish I had sold it at the first sign of trouble.