Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Strut Replacement 97 Outback

My Drivers side rear strut is making alot of noise. I can grab the top of the car and shake just after I park and the strut creaks loudly the same as it does while driving down the road.

My question is, has anyone replaced their rear struts recently? Is it a cartridge system? Does one need spring compressor to replace just the cartidge? Does one just but the whole shebang including spring?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Mark

I replaced all four struts and front springs last summer (one had broken cause of rust). It's a DIY job if you've got some shade tree mechanics experience.

You need a spring compressor. Borrowed one at Canadiant Tire (you buy and they give you your money back when you bring them back). You probably can find same in the US. You can keep the springs and replace only the struts. Easier to use the compression tool if you have an impact wrench (air or electrical).

My car is a little older than yours and maybe it's not applicable to you but I also replaced the strut top supports and adjoining hardware.

Have a good breaker bar cause the big bolts that join the struts to the wheel knuckle are sometimes rusty and hard to get off.

One problem is the brake lines. I followed the advide of a board member (forgot who it was) and cut part of the holding tab (with a Dremel) on the stut, bent back part of it to remove the line and did the reverse when reinstalling.

Haynes offers good advice on how to proceed.

Make a seardh with «strut replacement» and you'll find more info.

Good luck!