Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Overheating Engine on Highway

HELP: I have 107,000 miles on my 2.5 Phase II SOHC engine on my 2001 Outback, the car has been PERFECTLY maintained with all maintence performed by myself. I decided to take the car in for service for the timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, belts, hoses etc. The car now OVERHEATS on the highway. The mechanic changed the thermostat and the waterpump again and it still overheat on the highway. I have flushed the coolant 4 times over the lift of the car. Any thoughs. I am at a loss. I am going to take it back. But I can idle the car and drive locally all day long and it is fine. Once I take it on the highway the guage climbs up to the red zone if I do not turn on the heat..

sounds like you have air in the system to me, judging how it didnt overheat before hand, if it was a HG leak then it would have shown up before you changed all that stuff, tyr to purge the air out of the system by jacking up the front of the car as high as possible w/o spilling coolant all over the place and burp the system that way, take the radiator cap off while doing this, air needs to escape. anyone else wanna chime in and give him your two lincoln's?

~Josh~

My guess is that you have a compromised cooling system. The cooling system can not dissapate the heat of an engine operating at highway speeds. But add the little extra cooling capacity of the heater, and you're OK. How about a partially clogged radiator? Drain and back flush that puppy. Maybe some of the debris from changing those parts got into the system.

But first, try purging the cooling system of air again. I have a very steep driveway. I just park the car on the steepest part and burp away. Works every time.

I've owned and worked on (driveway mechanic) many different types of cars since I was 16. I have never had a car be as quirky about its coolant system as my Subaru. Great cars, but a pain for a novice Subie-mechanic until you crack that secret code of coolant maintenance.

I had a thermostat go out on me, so I replaced it myself and, with the thermostat on the bottom of the block, drained and refilled the antifreeze. Had a similar problem as you. Coolant level looked to be in normal range when I checked it though. Ended up being air in my coolant system and it needed this burp thingy the veteran Subaru wrenches here have mentioned.

Was it an experienced Subaru mechanic who worked on it? I wil NEVER let anyone but a Subaru mechanic mess with my coolant system because I doubt a non-Sube mechanic would know the quirkiness of these engines in that regard. If you can't wrench around on it yourself, take it to a good Subaru dealership and have them take a look.

Based on what I've heard others mention about head gasket problems on the 2.5, I'd be a bit suspicious on that, but since it just started this problem right after the work you had done, I'd bet you have a air in your system. If you can't figure it yourself, go to a Subaru specific garage. Dealerships charge more and I typically avoid them, but with coolant system issues, I'd go there first unless you find a mechanic at a smaller operation who deems himself a Subaru-guy.

I was hesitant to take my Subaru to a little mom and pop mechanic service for some work I couldn't do myself a few months ago, but I did not have the $$$ for the estimate the Subaru dealership gave me and plus they were an hour away. The shop didn't look very hi-tech or professional either, but when I talked to the guy he said "Oh yeah, my wife drives a new Outback and I have a 99 myself." He knew his stuff and cost me 1/3 of what the dealership would have. Ask for Subaru experience before going to non-dealer shops for certain repair work...

most likely would be an air pocket. Next could be defective new bits such as water pump or thermostat. Last would be that the timeing belt was off a tooth or two.

If it does not get fixed soon it could lead to a head gasket problem. That model is not as likely to have one, but heat it up a few times....

• 2 weeks later...

Well it has been 3 weeks later and we figured it out. The crappy conditioner that Subaru recommends to "Condition" the headgasket, or really probably nothing more then their version of "Stop Leak" sat in my radiator overnight and caked and clogged up.. I am going to write and call the 800-Subaru number. I have the insert that they sent for my manual and NOWHERE does it say to add the conditioner and make sure you circulate thourougly throughout the system right away. I figured when I went out for a drive the next morning is would be fine. I guess I was wrong.. Now thinking about it when I added it this time, I idled the car until hot, then shut the engine for about 5 mins. opened the cap added the conditioner and then took the car on a 45 min trip to a friends house. I figured I would let the stuff fully circulate so there would not be any problem this time. I do ALL the mainenece on my car, and have a good deal of knowledge but never thought about this conditioner clumping up. After a new radiator car is good as new.. I guess I can't complain. 108,000 miles and have not put a DIME in to the car other then maintenece. Save for the radiator....

My guess is that you have a compromised cooling system. The cooling system can not dissapate the heat of an engine operating at highway speeds. But add the little extra cooling capacity of the heater, and you're OK. How about a partially clogged radiator? Drain and back flush that puppy. Maybe some of the debris from changing those parts got into the system.

But first, try purging the cooling system of air again. I have a very steep driveway. I just park the car on the steepest part and burp away. Works every time.

I have head of tire repair in a can doing that if you put it in and park the car. That makes a big out of balance condition. This should go as a lesson in what not to do for us.

The average person has not had much experience adding the goop from Subaru so thanks for the info.