Ultimate Subaru Message Board

polluted coolant? oil?

Hi all,

For a while now, I've been noticing that my coolant seems to become polluted, it takes on very murky, cloudy greenish/grayish color, rather then the bright green we all know and love. Also, it seems that i have to top it off regularly (every couple of weeks or so...is this normal?) Further, when i use the heat, it smells bad, although i'm at a loss as to how to describe the smell...

any ideas out there? is it possible for oil to get into the coolant system? or possiblly, hopefully, simply a dire need for a flush/fill?

As always, any thoughts, advice, and solutions are greatly appreciated,

jared

oh yeah, '94 legacy wgn GT 2.2 4wd, @200k miles

When the motor is heating up gases and other things are being forced via the leak into the cooling system because of the difference in pressure. When you turn the motor off things cool down and coolant is sucked in via the leak and decreases your coolant volume, the coolant that has been polluted by the first step. You probably have a faulty head gasket(s). Either way urgent attention is needed. Your oil probably looks terrible too!