Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Possible solution to the weak axle problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 25 August 2003 - 10:43 PM

Check this out
http://www.diversifiedcryogenics.com/ Cryogenic treating looks relatively inexpensive, and seems to make things last a lot longer. Mostly what gets broke on the axles is teh joints right? Send those in and have them Cryo treated and see if it helps.

#2 XSNRG

XSNRG

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,657 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 26 August 2003 - 12:04 AM

I wonder if they could get my whole car in there.:brow:

#3 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 26 August 2003 - 09:06 AM

my old highschool metal shop /cad /cam /cnc shop teacehr does cryotreating or did last i knew
does cranks engine blocks anything pretty much that will fit in his cryo freezer
works well on gun barrels also

#4 XSNRG

XSNRG

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,657 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 26 August 2003 - 09:56 AM

Yep, a lot of guy's are doing gun barrels/actions around here and the Toyota/Samuri gang are all doing thier Burfield's (spl?) I guess the guy that started doing the Burfields is in Graham WA, he's well known for it.

It would be nice if we could put a front stub in the rear, the fronts are solid as opposed to the hollow rear ones. I wonder if the 510 stubs are solid? Anybody know? I believe they are oart of the axle.

#5 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 31 August 2003 - 04:21 PM

510 stubs are part of the axle kinda, they are the same as an EA71 U-Joint axle, there is one bolt in the center of the U joint that holds the axle into the diff, and then right next to the U joint there is a flange that the axle bolts to, but it is a lot easier to take the one bolt out, than to unbolt all 4 bolts holding the axle to the flange. The 510 axle wouldn't work on a newer car though, due to the way it attaches to the outer axle stub. Like the older soob, it has a 4 bolt flange, rather than the splined stub and spring pin. Perhaps someone with access to a machine shop could make some like, Chromoly axle stubs or something?

#6 beauregaardhooligan

beauregaardhooligan

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 31 August 2003 - 05:01 PM

Keep in mind, if the stub is stronger, something else will be the weaker link.
What would be next?
Which is easier to fix?

#7 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,113 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 31 August 2003 - 05:24 PM

That's right Ed. When I broke the stub on the Rubicon I was up and running again in 15 minutes. But that too depends on which end of the stub you break.

Qman

#8 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 31 August 2003 - 11:47 PM

With cryo-treating our axles may still be the weak point, but still be stronger. I don't see cryo-treating doing so much to our axles that they will become unbreakable. I also think that unless the axles become unbreakable they would be impractical, because everytime we break an axle we will have to send a new one to the freezer. Any body know what people charge for this kind of work?

#9 beauregaardhooligan

beauregaardhooligan

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 01 September 2003 - 08:27 AM

Nothing is un-breakable!
The point I'm trying to make is what would be next to break if the axle stubs won't, and how hard would it be to fix in the woods.
I understand a lot of 4x4ers use regular u-joints for just that reason, cheap and easy to fix.

#10 "EJ"

"EJ"

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  • Jerzey

Posted 01 September 2003 - 08:59 AM

Again Ed is on top of things again, like Ken said it all depends on what breaks. I would rather have the half-shaft break cost wise compared to the tranny.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users