Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible solution to the weak axle problem

Yep, a lot of guy's are doing gun barrels/actions around here and the Toyota/Samuri gang are all doing thier Burfield's (spl?) I guess the guy that started doing the Burfields is in Graham WA, he's well known for it.

It would be nice if we could put a front stub in the rear, the fronts are solid as opposed to the hollow rear ones. I wonder if the 510 stubs are solid? Anybody know? I believe they are oart of the axle.

510 stubs are part of the axle kinda, they are the same as an EA71 U-Joint axle, there is one bolt in the center of the U joint that holds the axle into the diff, and then right next to the U joint there is a flange that the axle bolts to, but it is a lot easier to take the one bolt out, than to unbolt all 4 bolts holding the axle to the flange. The 510 axle wouldn't work on a newer car though, due to the way it attaches to the outer axle stub. Like the older soob, it has a 4 bolt flange, rather than the splined stub and spring pin. Perhaps someone with access to a machine shop could make some like, Chromoly axle stubs or something?

With cryo-treating our axles may still be the weak point, but still be stronger. I don't see cryo-treating doing so much to our axles that they will become unbreakable. I also think that unless the axles become unbreakable they would be impractical, because everytime we break an axle we will have to send a new one to the freezer. Any body know what people charge for this kind of work?