Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Here's the scoop, Hocrest and myself are building an SVX E Prepared racer out of what was a parts car from what we were told was a bad tranny. We got her up and running today. It had the FWD fuse in so nothing happened when in gear (did make some not so nice noises in the front dif though). Took out the fuse, it drives in RWD just fine (noises stay up front though).

We'd love to run it RWD for a spell to see how it handles and all. Maybe even for good. Now, if we take the front axles off there should be no real reason why we can't run it as is right? It'll do more damage to the front dif but that is gone anyways. Just doing the lazy man when it comes to dropping the tranny at this point. The time can be better spent accomplishing other stuff. Would like some thoughs about everything.

Oh yeah, Pics are at http://photos.yahoo.com/blroth

ben,

i don't think that will affect the diff at all. i know you can run the 4EAT's just fine in FWD with the rear axle removed. the rear output shaft turns just fine, it's just not driving anything. no worries about different tire sizes or binding. i think the front diff will be the same. seems to me that you can probably crack the front diff open and gut it out, but talk to someone who knows about that. that would get rid of the *bad noises* you're having up there and your trans might be fine. tony in charlotte swapped front diffs in his 4EAT, so you should be able to tackle that.

i always wondered if the axles provided any lateral rigidity for the suspension, but i guess not because i've never heard anyone mention that before. if it did affect that at all, then gutting the diff out might be something to think about. remove whatever gear drives that front stub axle in the diff so that the axle is there for rigidity but not actually being driven and putting any additional stress on the front diff or trans.

Ben

You might be advised to contact

Mudrat79

he posted this on a thread

about using our 4EAT's in rear wheel drive

"

I can tell you that In 50/50 mode, you still don't get a true 50% to the rear.....When I set My trans up to run this way, and Was running just the rear drive line and No front Axles, the thing wouldn't climb over a 6" curb on its own...:(

I had to go inside and Play with the Valve Body for the rear clutch pack to get it to do 50/100 % to the rear........:)

Then it Climbed... ."

Good luck sounds like fun

if you do this, you probably want to try installing the Duty Solenoid C switch so that you can manually *lock* the transfer clutch. i did it with mine and i don't know any percentages but the car bucks and binds just like the manual when i flip the switch. just splice one wire and you're done.

Will ask 79 when I get back from my ski trip. I still don't understand how the dif affects the tranny though. They are totally separate. Sure the tranny has a ???? amount of life left in it. We're not looking for much. Probably 200 miles of HARD autoxing this year on it. Just wondering about the need to drop it and take the gears out of it at the moment. I'm lazy, I'd leave 'em there. Hocrest is more ambitious.