Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Vortec motor in Brat?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 skishop69

skishop69

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• Members
  • 909 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 11 February 2005 - 09:24 PM

I was just wondering if anyone makes an adapter to go from the 4.3 Vortec to the early '80s 5spd 4wd trans (from the EA82). I have a spare Vortec lying in the shop and got to thinking. I took measurements, and if I install the 6" lift, the motor will fit nicely. Although, I will have to relocate the radiator down and forward. I could fab the adapter myself, but it's nice to bolt and play instead of design, fab, break, re-design, etc....

#2 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 11 February 2005 - 09:30 PM

i dont know of any adapter, but i dont know anything so....................

~Josh~

#3 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:32 PM

Thats a great post ballitch. You trying to up that post count huh??
Well, I don't know oh any adaptor either, but it sounds like a lok of fun. What does the vortec come out of, show you how much I know :-\.
And no!, I'm not just trying to get my post count up, I really want to know what this vortec is :-p :D
I need to get into the making things world, sounds fun!

#4 skishop69

skishop69

• Members
  • 909 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:41 PM

The vortec is a 4.3l 90 degree v-6 built by Chevrolet and used in the Blazers and 'S' series trucks.Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Asheboro NC

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:15 PM

lol That would be one fast vehicle!!! I don't know if a sube tranny could hold that kind of power, but sounds like an interesring swap :drunk:

#6 skishop69

skishop69

• Members
  • 909 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:20 PM

I've seen a number of posts boasting that the trannies can take around 250 - 300hp. Whether that's true or not... We might just find out.

#7 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:44 PM

did you search?

#8 skishop69

skishop69

• Members
  • 909 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:46 PM

Just stuff I remembered seeing.

#9 JHH

JHH

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • albuquerque

Posted 12 February 2005 - 09:26 AM

Check out KEP, Kennedy engineering products online. They make all kinds of adapters for just about every popular motor to adapt to VW. I would guess from the extensive list of adapters and the popularity of their products that if they don't have something that will work they could make it for you. Since they have adapter kits to swap subaru engines to VW it would not be a strech to do what you are trying.

#10 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 12 February 2005 - 09:38 AM

Mr. BowTiebaru
one word fits

sacrilege

#11 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,881 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:20 AM

Mr. BowTiebaru
one word fits

sacrilege

I must be one of these Mr. BowTiebaru guys too lol. Your best bet would be to get a 4wd tranny from a Blazer or truck and adapt that to fit into the Brat instead of trying to use the 5-speed. Would be easier to do BUT you'd have to hang a rear diff from a Subaru in the front. There's a few people with lifts who have done the whole rear diff in the front thing. I have seen a gen 1 Brat with a 2.8L carbed motor in it and it roasted the stock tranny in it so I don't know if that 5-speed would hold the power from that v6. Subarubrat here on the board and also at www.subarubrat.com has a 2.7L flat 6 from an XT6 in his gen 2 Brat with lots of power and the 5-speed seems to be doing fine. He is one of the rear diff guys like I mentioned earlier. If you're looking to go for easiness compared to "Well will this work? Will this hold? Am I doing this right?" then you might want to consider the stock tranny from the Blazer. At least the tranny will be able to hold the power form that motor. I'm planning on dropping a 350 into my gen 1 Brat with a Borg-Warner 5-speed but I'm also putting a full frame from a Nissan truck underneath it too and its going to be only RWD. Sounds like you got yourself a challenge! Good luck!

#12 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:00 AM

my gmc 4.3 tb had 150 hp, just like my 2.7 litre er27 from a SUBARU. a vortec would have more hp, but would weigh alot more with the cast iron block.
subaru makes cool motors... i swear!

#13 who1981

who1981

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Longview WA, USA

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:26 AM

The thing about the vortec is the torque, fair bit higher than an ea27.

150 HP - 235 Torque / 4.3L V6 TBI
195 HP - 260 Torque / 4.3L V6 CPFI Vortec (Blazer only)

They are a good motor, pretty reliable, good'ish milage, but heavy too.

#14 dragonwingsubaru

dragonwingsubaru

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • englewood

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:09 AM

i think you guys are a little off on the hp #'s the tbi 4.3 is closer to 120 hp.

as for an adapter check out advancedadapters, i know they sell tranny adapters for putting a 4.3 in a toyota as well as for several other cars, not sure about soobs but its worth a try. i can tell you though its not gonna be cheap to do the swap though the bellhousing adapter alone is gonna cost you about $300 +, and if you are gonna be willing to spend the money needed to do that swap you might as well just drop a sb 350 in it since you are just talking a few more inches longer and it is the bellhousing bolt pattern as a a 4.3 anyways.

#15 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 10 March 2005 - 11:40 PM

that, and youd have to move the tranny back about a foot, to make room for the motor. 4.3, or 5.7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users