Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

`87 GL needs new engine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ruboy01

ruboy01

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • G.R.

Posted 12 February 2005 - 01:54 AM

I hate to say it since I've been a suby fanatic most of my life, my parents had two when I was born and I've tried to keep them in Subys. But I'm kind of lost on some of these older machines. I have an `01 Imp wagon. I have a friend who has an `87 GL who seezed it up. I recently dropped a valve in my Imp, and picked up a used 2.2 without the right info on what I was getting, the deal was too go so I grabbed it without looking. What I bought is a phase I 2.2, a true step back from my ported and polished Phase II with other work done to it. So I don't feel like doing all the wiring to make it work. So I'm triing to find out what engine came in the `87 GL with a d/r 5sp. He told me it's MPFI. If it's really an EJ18 that's in his car. From what I've seen, it should be a drop and go. But I've been reading on here about EA's and if it's one of those, I have no idea what to do to make it work. Thanks for any help you can give. If nothing else I need to actually get one car on the road this month even if it's not mine.

#2 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 12 February 2005 - 04:01 AM

nope, not an EJ...it's an EA82, and probably SPFI, not plug-and-play. Mudrat makes an adapter plate to drop it in, which would probably be cheaper than getting another motor, but you'll still have to do all the wiring.

#3 TROGDOR!

TROGDOR!

Pastor of Muppets

• Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Morgantown, WV

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:20 PM

The engine should be a carbed EA82, unless the car is an 87.5 model, in which case it's an SPFI EA82. A quick look at the engine will tell you- a bean-shaped air cleaner cover is a carbed engine.

A direct drop in would be any nonturbo engine from a 1985-1994 GL,DL,GL-10, or Loyale. If you use a fuel injected engine, swap the intake manifold and use your carb.

#4 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:25 PM

I'm in Detroit, and spend a fair amount of my weekends in Big Rapids, so if you have any questions i can stop by and we can figure these things out, i'm good at pulling engines i got the one out of my 88 in about 45 minutes, alone, without a cherry picker, hooray for the come-along

#5 ruboy01

ruboy01

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • G.R.

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:21 AM

I'm in Detroit, and spend a fair amount of my weekends in Big Rapids, so if you have any questions i can stop by and we can figure these things out, i'm good at pulling engines i got the one out of my 88 in about 45 minutes, alone, without a cherry picker, hooray for the come-along

I may take you up on that offer. I still haven't gotten a chance to look at his car. But he claims at one point he had to change the injectors. But I don 't know what he really knows about his car.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users