Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacing EA82T block with EA82

kiwirx

I have an RX Turbo rally car with numerous mods and have been running 15-17 psi boost but have finally blown a piston to bits.I would like to increase the compression ratio and reduce the boost to achieve better low down power and less lag ,hopefully giving better driveability.I guess the easiest way would be to use a non turbo carb type EA82 block.Does anyone know if this is possible and weather the internals differ.

There are a couple of differences in the N/A and the Turbo blocks. The Turbo block has the hole to screw the knock sensor in and an addition crankcase ventelation port. If your block is not dammaged by the bad piston, you might look into getting some higher compression pistons instead. The carburated and MPFI version of the EA82 had a 9:1 ratio and the SPFI (throttle body injection) version had a 9.5:1 ratio.

There are a couple of differences in the N/A and the Turbo blocks. The Turbo block has the hole to screw the knock sensor in and an addition crankcase ventelation port. If your block is not dammaged by the bad piston, you might look into getting some higher compression pistons instead. The carburated and MPFI version of the EA82 had a 9:1 ratio and the SPFI (throttle body injection) version had a 9.5:1 ratio.

Does the turbo block for the 82t have the oil jets for cooling the pistons like the ej series turbo engines? If so this would be a good reason to stick with the turbo block.

Does the turbo block for the 82t have the oil jets for cooling the pistons like the ej series turbo engines? If so this would be a good reason to stick with the turbo block.

No

and IIRC, the EJ22 is the only one of the EJ turbos (USDM) with the oil squirters.

As far as the differences in the Blocks between the EA82 carb and EA82T.

Different pistons - flat (9.0:1) instead of dished (7.7:1)

PCV - Carb block doesn't have the hole in the top of the block for the PCV pipe. Not really a big deal. Can be dealt with

Knock sensor - while the carb block doesn't utilize the knock sensor, the spot is there for it, and is already threaded.

How do I know?

I have one :D

a carb block would be ideal. use the turbo heads and intake, carb bottom end. the hole for the knock sensor is present on the block.

the crankcase vent is not there but you can bypass that

here is what is involved, me and a buddy built turbos on a carb block for an RX

www.warpthree.com/milesfox/87rx/rxbuild

Thanks for posting those photos!

What was the reason for the piston mods, and what was the result?