Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Split shift D/R

NoahDL88

So i was talking to myself about my Subaru and i says to myself, "myself, i wonder if its possible to seperate the 4wd lever and the low range lever on the transmission" the theory is that you could then have a 2wd Low range, which would be great concidering the car is a dog with the swampers, well, it was when it was running, but i'm working on that, so now that i've planted the seed, i'm gonna see what i can do about that, once i get the engine from Paul, hopefully this weekend, Paul you'll be around this weekend right? 18-20?

I do not see any reason why you couldn't, other than needing to fabricate new levers/linkage/trim. The one lever goes to separate actuators on the tranny. Once upon a time I pulled my rear axles so that I could use the low range for rush hour traffic... crawl isn't just for mud!

I am pretty sure that the two functions are linked for user "convenience" rather than necessity.

I'm gonna have to look into this...... I know you can do it easily with the T-cases on trucks, but I was under the impression that everything was going on inside our transmissions and it was a single rod poking out for both functions.

Nah, definitley two rods poking out - the hi/lo range one goes right to the front, the 4/2 wd is further rear. (i think its that way round anyway).