Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Loyale prewired for rear speakers?

I just replaced the stereo and speakers in my wife's 90 Loyale Wagon and noticed that the wiring harness at the dash has wiring for rear speakers. I have looked in the rear doors and observed that they have the hole cut out for speakers, but the doors themselves don't appear to be wired for speakers (I was kinda hopeful that they would be because I found out that the front doors were wired for power mirrors and installed a pair). Since there is obviously wiring for rear speakers in the dash harness, where would be a good place to hook into them? Any ideas?

As I read on another post about the diffrences between Loyale and GL, it said something about the loyale not having the accessories of a GL, but it has all the wiring for it. So, by what I read, I'd say those are rear speaker harnesses. You could always use a multimeter to find continuity between the dash harness and the rear speaker harness. But my money is on it being a speaker harness. Am I right? CLose to right? OR far off?

[HTi]Johnson

my buddy put rear speakers in his loyale, the wiring was already there.

also, under the dash there is a plug for a map lite if you chose to install one. you ill have to cut a hole in the headliner but the mount is there behind it

wiring will also be present for power windows and locks if the car does not have them already

I rec that just use your own wire. Running a set up through the trunk is not that hard and can make room for a sub that much easier. If it is a wagon finding those wires might help but still what is a cd player without two twelves?:grin: Should be about forty at a pawn shop.

my buddy put rear speakers in his loyale, the wiring was already there.

also, under the dash there is a plug for a map lite if you chose to install one. you ill have to cut a hole in the headliner but the mount is there behind it

wiring will also be present for power windows and locks if the car does not have them already

This one is a wagon. Actually, come to think of it, I haven't pulled the doors apart on it to see if they're wired. I have a parts car that is a sedan and the doors on it weren't pre-wired for speakers, probably because they would go under the back deck on it. Gosh I can be brain-dead sometimes. I'll check it out though. Thanks.

If you're installing an aftermarket stereo you'll need to run new wiring to the rear anyway. Subarus use a common ground setup. You can run two speakers off the factory wiring on an aftermarket stereo, but if you run all four, you'll have sound problems. I'd say just run new wiring to the back doors.

yes you can connect an aftermarket tereo to the common ground.

the left front and rear share a ground as well as the right front and rear. what you do is connect the front - to the ground for each side and leave the rear - from the aftermarket radio disconnected, tape them off

Thanks for all of the info. I'll have to sit down and reread this stuff and think about it real hard, and probably go out and pull the stereo to look at the wiring so I can get a good firm grip on what I'm seeing in that other thread.

I didn't see a black connector behind the radio like the one mentioned in the other thread. There was a white connector and then two other individual connectors (one of which was not used and the other being the battery power). The wiring adapter that I hooked up to the pigtail for the new radio had individual grounds for the speaker wires, as did the white plug from the dash harness (I'm pretty sure), so if they went to a common ground it's going to be somewhere further back in the wiring. I've got the dash and interior molding out of this parts car, so maybe that will help me find what I'm looking for.

I know it was a big help on figuring out what to do about the antenna wire. I noticed that was an issue for the guy that posted the other thread too; the antenna wire was way too short to make it to the aftermarket radio. Once I saw how it was routed (in the parts car), I ripped it out from under the floorboard and rerouted it under the dash. Had more than enough length then.