Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New 2 Nu-Generation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stupidru

Stupidru

Currently Subaruless

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Northumberland, PA

Posted 26 August 2003 - 12:34 PM

I just bought 1992 Legacy Sport Sedan $100.00, 167,000 miles, no rust. But won't start, there is coolant on all plugs. Did compression test. Drivers side...110 & 140, Passenger side...130 & 140. Does anyone know how many lbs of pressure the ej22t should have? The guy I bought it from said, he thought it had blown head gaskets or warped heads. He is not mechanically able to do work himself & didn't want to put more money into car. I seen TheOtherSkip's info on head gasket replacement & that will be very helpful, because my only experience with Subaru engines is ea81. Any help with this project is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,639 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 26 August 2003 - 05:13 PM

should probably be around 140.

I'd definitely say the 110 cylinder is low.

#3 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:32 PM

When I did a compression test on my N/A Legacy, I got between 180-190 for all 4 cylinders. That might be a bit high, carbon buildup perhaps. But, yeah the 110 cylinder probably has a very minute leak which isn't affecting driveability just yet. But trust me, it will :mad:

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 27 August 2003 - 12:14 AM

You got a legacy turbo for $100?

YOU SUCK!!!

No really, good score and good luck with it

#5 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,130 posts
  • WA

Posted 27 August 2003 - 03:26 AM

I dont think a one blown head gasket would put coolant on all 4 plugs. Theres something else going on here, maybe intake gaskets also.
Rob
Btw, nice score Jay

#6 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 27 August 2003 - 07:40 AM

from haynes, compression for the ej22t should be 142-171 psi. on my ej25 with a blown head gasket, i found all to be between 200-210psi, so compression didn't show the blown head gasket. another check is to remove the spark plugs, and pressurize the cooling system with shop air. leave it for a while (4 hours or more), and the coolant will leak into the cylinders, showing you which cylinders have failed combustion rings...

turbone- 2 blown head gaskets could put coolant on all four plugs. the car could have been seriously overheated and warped both heads or both head gaskets could have let go. i'm not too familiar with this engine, but the coolant has nothing to do with the intake manifild, right (it doesn't on a 2.5)? so the only place that coolant can find its way into the cylinder is through the head gasket...

#7 Stupidru

Stupidru

Currently Subaruless

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Northumberland, PA

Posted 27 August 2003 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for your reply's, I'm sure I'll have more question when I start tearing her down. I'll post some pictures soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users