Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought 1992 Legacy Sport Sedan $100.00, 167,000 miles, no rust. But won't start, there is coolant on all plugs. Did compression test. Drivers side...110 & 140, Passenger side...130 & 140. Does anyone know how many lbs of pressure the ej22t should have? The guy I bought it from said, he thought it had blown head gaskets or warped heads. He is not mechanically able to do work himself & didn't want to put more money into car. I seen TheOtherSkip's info on head gasket replacement & that will be very helpful, because my only experience with Subaru engines is ea81. Any help with this project is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

When I did a compression test on my N/A Legacy, I got between 180-190 for all 4 cylinders. That might be a bit high, carbon buildup perhaps. But, yeah the 110 cylinder probably has a very minute leak which isn't affecting driveability just yet. But trust me, it will :mad:

from haynes, compression for the ej22t should be 142-171 psi. on my ej25 with a blown head gasket, i found all to be between 200-210psi, so compression didn't show the blown head gasket. another check is to remove the spark plugs, and pressurize the cooling system with shop air. leave it for a while (4 hours or more), and the coolant will leak into the cylinders, showing you which cylinders have failed combustion rings...

turbone- 2 blown head gaskets could put coolant on all four plugs. the car could have been seriously overheated and warped both heads or both head gaskets could have let go. i'm not too familiar with this engine, but the coolant has nothing to do with the intake manifild, right (it doesn't on a 2.5)? so the only place that coolant can find its way into the cylinder is through the head gasket...