Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how do you make a subaru faster?

im new to the subaru game...

im a muscle head..what i know about modding is taking a camaro, adding some headers, cam, exhaust, intake, air lid and exhaust

besides foced induction is there anything major you can do to make a lecagy faster...

i know im not gonna try take a v8, but are there things i can get for pretty cheap that'll bring me up to maybe 225+ hp?

ya but i got a 330 000*KM* engine

im thinking a turbos gonna drop something on the road in a few months/years

i did a little reserach

in the summer i can pump like 1-2grand into a pulley, up/downpipes and headers, complete intake and full catexhaust

a turbo is a possibility, either that or a new engine with turbo

how would my engine hold up with a turbo, its in really good shape for how old it is and how mand km's

You won't get 225bhp without a turbo.

Porting the heads, custom intake, equal length headers, free flowing exhaust, and a custom programmed ECU might be able to free up to 150bhp.

You'll still be fighting the "conservative" cam lobes. And no-one makes aftermarket cams for your engine.

douglas vincent on legacycentral put a mercedes supercharger on his 2.2. I think he ended up breaking some things, but had like 200chp.

I gave up on any gains long ago. I put some money into my suspension to make it more fun to drive, and when I've got enough to spend on power gains I'll find a Legacy turbo 5-spd. Or just get an STi.

more fuel

more air

more spark

more exhaust flow

add NOS

heheh.. just turbo it and run 10 lbs of nos

Jamal - 200 at the crank? WJM did that with a EA82.. old news

I'd like to see someone do that naturally aspirated out of a 2.2L

Or 400 bhp with a turbo no NOS

ya but i got a 330 000*KM* engine

im thinking a turbos gonna drop something on the road in a few months/years

i did a little reserach

in the summer i can pump like 1-2grand into a pulley, up/downpipes and headers, complete intake and full catexhaust

a turbo is a possibility, either that or a new engine with turbo

how would my engine hold up with a turbo, its in really good shape for how old it is and how mand km's

Pulley, I/H/C I think will probably net you maybe 15 whp max. You will likely start to break stuff on your aged motor. $1-2K? Why are we even talking about turbos? Force inducting ANYTHING reliably is going to cost you twice that....

Not neccesarily, a 2ltr turbo engine can be had for around a grand with reasonable mileage, add in your ECU and harness and you should be able to do a swap for under $1500. And lets face it, in dollars /performance ratio droping the 230Hp plus with minor mods into an Impreza/legacy is dirt cheap power.

Not neccesarily, a 2ltr turbo engine can be had for around a grand with reasonable mileage, add in your ECU and harness and you should be able to do a swap for under $1500. And lets face it, in dollars /performance ratio droping the 230Hp plus with minor mods into an Impreza/legacy is dirt cheap power.

I respect your experience but.............show me that $1500 complete setup...I'll buy one today...we're talking whp to remember, not crank.

lol im learning 4 bangers arent easy to make fast...

i think im just gonna keep my legacy for a year or to as a daily driver..and get some financing on a ls1 camaro/trans am

i am only 18,

and a 2002 z28 camaro gets better gas mileage then a brand new wrx, so im assuming it would do much better then a 250hp legacy

Don't just focus on HP numbers and you might make a little more progress. Legacy's are frickin HEAVY! Drop some of that dead weight.

No SH*T! LOSE WEIGHT! Lose the chubby girlfriend & hit the stair master, Lose the A/C, Lose the back seat, Lose these sunroof,carpet,tint & windows,door caps,dash,stereo & those heavy rump roast rims, get carbon fiber hood, doors, lighter seats, steering wheel, and you still only have 160hp in a GT 2.5L! Power to Weight! YAY!

OR

Get a stripped 91' CRX w/ a b18c5 built! Only about 245hp but only 1800lbs.

OR

Remember why you've bought a Subaru! Comfort? AWD? Back Seat? On a Budget?

No my friends... PIMPING is not easy!:lol:

You can do a lot of the same things you'd do on a muscle car on a 4 banger. The main thing is these kids dont realize adding a 3" exhaust system doesnt actually help them out, the one thing I learned going from working on V8s and V6's are that where you can stick a 3" exhaust system on those to add hp, 4 bangers need backpressure or you end up losing hp.

But as far as your car goes, I have a 93, I was thinking about building this one up (shaving heads, port and polish cuz it has 245k on it, do a complete rebuild on the bottom end, new complete exhaust among other things) but in the end I figured just getting an STi motor/tranny swap would cost me about the same. Now if all goes well, I'll be getting another daily driver, hand my car over to the school I'm going to be attending soon for auto tech (being certified pays more :grin: ) and get the swap done for much less.

On an N/A car that is perfectoy true, although it is not the backpressure so much as the exhaust velocity that is needed. However, on a aturbo car, the bigger and clearer the dump off the turbo the better.

As for the question of the cost fo a swap, do some minimal research on the cost of a 2ltr jdm or usdm on ebay for starters, then take a look at ECU and harness prices. If you are attentive you CAN gather the items for about $1500. This is of course assuming you do the work yourself.

No SH*T! LOSE WEIGHT! Lose the chubby girlfriend & hit the stair master, Lose the A/C, Lose the back seat, Lose these sunroof,carpet,tint & windows,door caps,dash,stereo & those heavy rump roast rims, get carbon fiber hood, doors, lighter seats, steering wheel, and you still only have 160hp in a GT 2.5L! Power to Weight! YAY!

OR

Get a stripped 91' CRX w/ a b18c5 built! Only about 245hp but only 1800lbs.

OR

Remember why you've bought a Subaru! Comfort? AWD? Back Seat? On a Budget?

No my friends... PIMPING is not easy!:lol:

LMAO!!!!

Thats why I have a 88 CRX HF in my garage.

LMAO!!!!

Thats why I have a 88 CRX HF in my garage.

My bf just picked one up. As in last Saturday. Already busted something...I swear him and hondas do not mix, as he has an 88 Civic hatch too and apparently he's currently gone thru timing chain #3 on it (second motor from an 89 crx si I believe, this is chain #2 for this one, did i mention he's only had the civic itself since about july/august?) not to mention 3 or 4 ignition modules and a couple coils...and when I had it I had NO problems with it lol