Ultimate Subaru Message Board

difference between NGK plugs

I have decided to get a set of NGK plugs. They seem to be the ones most highly recommended. I was just wondering if anybody new the real difference in performance and life between something like the GP Platinums which are under $3 a plug and something like the Double Platinums or the Iridiums which are about $12 a plug. Obviously the more expensive ones would be a bit nicer but does anyone out there have any real world experience using these plugs and notice much of a difference?

I would use no platinum or double platinum. with single platinum, half the plugs will wear faster than the other half. the reason is our ignition system fires half the plugs tip to electrode, the other half fires electrode to tip. I bought the correct ngk plugs and got them for $10 apiece at advance auto. my kid who is on a budget bought the correct spec autolite double platinum for $4 apiece, they looked real good and have been working fine for about 10,000 miles now.

I have decided to get a set of NGK plugs. They seem to be the ones most highly recommended. I was just wondering if anybody new the real difference in performance and life between something like the GP Platinums which are under $3 a plug and something like the Double Platinums or the Iridiums which are about $12 a plug. Obviously the more expensive ones would be a bit nicer but does anyone out there have any real world experience using these plugs and notice much of a difference?

Man, there was just a theread on plugs, several pages long.

Why is it so hard to search?

BTW, single platinums are a nono in subaru's waste spark ignition, get the double platinum ones (NGK laser platinum). I understant thay are OEM on new cars. Check with your dealer.

I replaced the V-Power plugs in my 93 last summer with the same V-Power plugs. The ones that I pulled out had about 85-90k on them and didn't look bad at all. There was a difference between the new and the old, but mostly just normal wear. I can remember pulling a set with about 90k on them from a Pontiac, not pretty. The thing wouldn't even run. All we had to do to get it going again was replace the plugs...

The moral to my story, don't waste the extra $$$ on the others when the standard work fine (for me at least)