Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brake pad preference??

hey there- (82 GLW)

anybody have a preference for brake pads, Idoit's guide says get 'em from the dealer, dealer wants $80 bucks!

kragen sells 'em for $30.........also how necessary is the piston wrench??

any input ASAP greatly appreciated!!

thx a bunch!!

shanonsf

82 GLW (trying to go rallycross'n!)

Shannon. IM using $30 kragen brake pads and $30 rotors that I got new off of eBay. Not sure if the dealer pads are much different.

The piston tool is important. I made one, and it works pretty good. If you want, you are more than welcome to borrow it. I might find myself in your neck of the woods soon.

-Brian

I spent 30 bucks on my front brake pads...from Autozone...lifetime guaranteed...4K miles later...they are toasted. Had a complete overhaul last service...new calipers...new rotors....new crappy pads...so I am definitely going to go get the genuine Subaru pads from the dealer for 80 bucks this time. Yes...you will need the brake caliper tool to screw them in instead of just pushing them back in...you can buy one at about any parts store...mine was 10 bucks. I am a sole believer now in using only Subaru parts...what you pay for is what you get...good luck to you.

Ive had no issues with whatever cheapest aftermarket crap was in stock at Autozone. Bought the "turn in tool" there for under $10 also. Was just a funky cube adapert that goes onto a 3/8 driver.

Not the best solution but if its all you can afford (like myself) I wouldnt worry too much about having to use them :)

Crappy pads from my local parts house - $17.00, and I've never purchased a pistong tool - use a pair of needle-nose pliers, and put a little "love" on it. Ive done LOTS of brake jobs with the pliers - works great. Oh - and if your wearing out pads in 4k - stop riding the brakes - that's insane - I get like 20k from a set of pads - the cheapest I can find. One time I even put organic pads on there - for $8 I couldn't pass em up. That, and it takes like 30 minutes to do pads.....

GD

I got my brakes done at Kost and the brakes won't stop squeeking. I took it back about five times found out the pads they used are too small and rattle so I recently called the dealer just for pricing...they said roughly $150 per set (I have an XT6) My opinion is stick with the dealer and you'd have less headaches. Good luck on your decision.

get the cheapest pads you can. If you get lifetime pads, they'll end up wearing out the rotors instead of the pads. I saw a 98 Jetta with the stock pads from the factory in it and the rotors were shot but the pads were almost new.....it was horrible cause the person had to buy new rotors at about 80 bucks a piece, YIKES!!!!

Okay, maybe I should keep my big mouth away from the Older Generation forum, but here goes anyway:

I would strongly recommend that you use Mintex "Red Box" brake pads. I have experimented with a number of different solutions and these are by far the best compromise bewteen price/lifetime and not least braking performance!

On slotted discs they last me about 20K miles, and while they do wear the disc surface they don't eat away more than can be expected. And they tend to leave a smooth surface with only very shallow ridges - which means that you can swap pads without resurfacing the discs.

They should be available Stateside :-)

I have only heard them called "Red Box" in the States BTW. It's basically their OEM quality replacement pads. Slighty better friction and heat failure resistance. I have run mine to the point of serious stink in the cabin but they keep braking, but my rotors are slotted which helps a lot when the pads are boiling :D