Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LOYAL Q's

Im on the hunt for a suby wagon for a good friend of mine

she will be doing some traveling this summer and wants a good car for her trips. I found a 91 loyal wagon for 1500 today and im going to talk to her about it.

Anything i should look for. Im not familiar with the Loyal.

I recently picked up a 90 Loyale...well, about six months back it's been now, i guess. I think they are great cars. Everybody says they'll run forever... The problem with mine was the oil leaks it came with. I've gotten them pretty much ironed out with a little persistence. So, based upon experience, that's what I would check for. if your friend wants to travel, she's not going to want to deal with leaks right away. Other than that, engage the 4-wheel drive and see how she feels/sounds. Also, be aware of the miles on it. You are in Washington where there are a lot of these old soobs. Unless it's got very reasonable mileage, 1500 might be a little high. Not that it's not worth it, but you just might be able to get one a bit cheaper. I got my 90 with 160K up in washington for $1250, which is really not much difference. Then again, I've seen the same thing selling down here for $3000. It's a sooby. If it runs well and feels right, pay the price. It'll probably run forever.

Im on the hunt for a suby wagon for a good friend of mine

she will be doing some traveling this summer and wants a good car for her trips. I found a 91 loyal wagon for 1500 today and im going to talk to her about it.

Anything i should look for. Im not familiar with the Loyal.

I always look for previous owners service records...if there it gives you an idea if any of the routine maintanence was done...IE timing belts. If they arent available then be prepared to change them before doing the trip.There is also the Tick of Death thing which isnt a major problem but for the price I would want to know if it does have it and what the extent is (how long it goes before it stops). The radiators are known to block up also so that would need to be looked at too. Underneith check the front unibody frame rails for rust.Also....typical axle shafts.

As for the oil leaks..these cars are the Gods/Goddesses of the oil leak and can be very hard to track down all of them..but not to bad to fix them(thats coming from someone who has had my Loyale for a year and a half and hasnt done a thing to calm mine down).

I personally sware by these cars..My 92 is my second one and has been the best,most dependable car I have ever owned. I love everything about them. Granted I paid $600 for Bucky but found out his KBB is $1400. These cars seem to have a way of taking care of you...even when they shouldnt.

I would not be afraid to drive Bucky from coast to coast (after I do the timing belt change which is WAY over due)with his 187,000 miles.