Ultimate Subaru Message Board

don't use silicone vac hoses for coolant lines....

I know a long time ago, there was talk about using silicone hoses for the coolant line from the turbo, because of the resistance to heat, etc....

well, I had some that I used to plumb in the coolant to my water choke weber. I've made a couple 25-30 mile non-stop runs, sit for a couple hours then another 25-30 miles back....

well, Monday on my way home from work, sitting at a stop light, the wagon just quits on me. temp guage was fine, but smoke started pouring out the front. the truck behind me pushed me through the intersection until I could coast into the convenience store/gas station on the other side...

pop the hood, and one of the coolant hose had burst...

so after a few trip into the store, and 1 trip to an auto parts store on the previous block, I was back in business. after dousing my disty cap with WD-40 since it was full of coolant, and the cause of the engine stop. nice fail-safe in this instance :) I replaced the burst line with a re-inforced hose (fuel line type). tonight I replaced the other hose.

here's what the silicone hose looked like...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4337&sort=1&cat=530&page=1

that looks like heat failure... i'd first question the source and quality of the "silicone" in the hose.... because silicone is supposed to have extremely high heat tolerance.

I know a long time ago, there was talk about using silicone hoses for the coolant line from the turbo, because of the resistance to heat, etc....

well, I had some that I used to plumb in the coolant to my water choke weber. I've made a couple 25-30 mile non-stop runs, sit for a couple hours then another 25-30 miles back....

well, Monday on my way home from work, sitting at a stop light, the wagon just quits on me. temp guage was fine, but smoke started pouring out the front. the truck behind me pushed me through the intersection until I could coast into the convenience store/gas station on the other side...

pop the hood, and one of the coolant hose had burst...

so after a few trip into the store, and 1 trip to an auto parts store on the previous block, I was back in business. after dousing my disty cap with WD-40 since it was full of coolant, and the cause of the engine stop. nice fail-safe in this instance :) I replaced the burst line with a re-inforced hose (fuel line type). tonight I replaced the other hose.

here's what the silicone hose looked like...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4337&sort=1&cat=530&page=1

Uugh,that's silicone vacuum hose! It's not designed for significant pressure at all. You want coolant hose, which, as torxxx accurately described will be reinforced with multiple layers of fabric imbedded. I've used that type of silicone hose for years on several cars without a single failure.

Ouch! THat thing really did BURST! :eek:

Reinforced silicone hose is about $15/foot last few places I called ( truck repair/supply shops ) I'll stick with good old reinforced rubber :)

Yikes, you're getting ripped pretty good at $15/ft! I used to sell silicone coolant hose in 3/8,1/2, and 5/8" for about $3.50/ft and still make a decent profit. Look around the 'net - you should be able to find it for less than $5/ft.

Yikes, you're getting ripped pretty good at $15/ft! I used to sell silicone coolant hose in 3/8,1/2, and 5/8" for about $3.50/ft and still make a decent profit. Look around the 'net - you should be able to find it for less than $5/ft.

I prolly should have specified ID. This was prices for abour 2" ID for say radiators and such.