Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to get to drain plug on tranny with car on ground!

I don't have a lift and I can't store ramps in my apartment. I can use the loading ramp and warehouse at my company at night so I can stay warm and dry. I need to do AT drin and fill on my '98 Legacy L wagon with 4EAT. Has anyone of decent size been able to squease under a L and get to the drian plug??

shortlid:

I got to mine very easily from the driver's side, behind the front tire IIRC, but mine's an Outback. Don't know how much difference the slightly higher OB clearance makes. Driving onto some pieces of lumber, like 2x10's or something similar, would make yours sit about as high as the OB, right?

Mine's a '97 but I'd think they're the same underneath.

Steve

I should clarify too... I don't think it's necessary for you to be under the car, just put the drain pan under the car. Reach from the side and you can get the drain pan under the car and reach the plug with your wrench. I'm 6'4" and skinny... just under 200 lbs. But that shouldn't matter as long as your arms are long enough to reach the plug, and would I think they are.

The first time I drained it, I jacked the car up, put it on stands, and got at it from the front. It was a pain working under there. Then, when I looked at it from the driver's side, I realized I could just get at it from there. Much easier, less chance of burning yourself on hot exhaust stuff.

Steve

My 2000 Legacy GT was reached from driver's side behind wheel, same anatomical config 6'4" 210, long arms. The bear was the front diff. and I ended up letting a shop do the front and rear diff. I know there are purists on this site who will hunt me down in the middle of the night for suggesting this but are there any real hazzards to pumping from the dip stick and refilling? I can't remember but if just the diff had magnets on the plugs or if the tran did as well. I must go and hide now....