Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Life of stock exhaust on '98 Subaru

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shortlid

shortlid

Subaru Nutcase

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Derry, New Hamphire

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:27 PM

How long does teh group think the stock coated exhaust system on a '98 Legacy L wagon driven in New England would be? It has the Cali. emisions so two cats. It is geting pretty rusty at the connections but no holes YET!! For how many of these things are used in the rust belt you woul think SOA would start puting SS

exhausts on them!!

#2 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:20 AM

I've got a 96 that is still good. IT was in Alaska and now in Germany, where they love to use deicing substances.

#3 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:12 AM

Here in salty-during-the-six-month-winter Denmark, Sube exhausts are held in high esteem for their ability to last 10 years!

In a coastal region, that might be shorter of course...

#4 swi66

swi66

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Gasport NY

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:08 AM

Well, I/ve just had to make some "repairs" to the exhaust on my 98 Legacy. First the gasket between the front pipe and the cat pipe gave out. Replacing the gasket didn't stop the leak as the flange is also badly deteriorated. Ingenuity and working with what I had around, I discovered a Corvair exhaust manifold donut fit between the two flanges perfectly. Issue # 2 was the flange on the end of the cat had rusted and collapsed. An aftermarket replacement flange from NAPA took care of that. Car has 128,000 miles, and I live Near Buffalo which uses more salt than anywhere else.............

swi66

#5 shortlid

shortlid

Subaru Nutcase

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Derry, New Hamphire

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:00 AM

Anyone know of a supplier of SS exhaust for the Legacy? I do have a friend with a welder so I could fab SS pipe together?

#6 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:56 AM

Well, I/ve just had to make some "repairs" to the exhaust on my 98 Legacy. First the gasket between the front pipe and the cat pipe gave out. Replacing the gasket didn't stop the leak as the flange is also badly deteriorated. Ingenuity and working with what I had around, I discovered a Corvair exhaust manifold donut fit between the two flanges perfectly. Issue # 2 was the flange on the end of the cat had rusted and collapsed. An aftermarket replacement flange from NAPA took care of that. Car has 128,000 miles, and I live Near Buffalo which uses more salt than anywhere else.............
swi66

Of what flange are you talking about? Rear first cat to second our second to pipe going to the muffler?

#7 swi66

swi66

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Gasport NY

Posted 17 February 2005 - 12:22 PM

Of what flange are you talking about? Rear first cat to second our second to pipe going to the muffler?

The rear of the first cat to the front of the second cat., it was the built in "ears" which the bolts go through on the back of the first cat which kind of disintegrated..........the actual bolts were pretty much gone, but for the most part the actual exhaust still seems pretty solid...........All the aluminum heat shielding has fallen off though as well................rust never sleeps

swi66

#8 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:42 PM

Keep in mind that stainless steel has a tendency to "ring" and will the exhaust noise louder because of this, even with a silencer.

#9 slo5oh

slo5oh

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Valley and Bay

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:56 PM

Shell gasoline will eat up the insides of your exhaust, snow (salt actually) will eat up the outside of your exhaust...
Otherwise a stock exhaust system should last you about 10 years.

#10 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:59 PM

I had to replace the entire one-piece exhaust system on my Brat when it was just over 2 years old (I was the second owner so it didn't fall under warranty). After that, every 5-6 years it would fail. It was always covered under warranty by Speedy Muffler. They told me it was porcelain coated and a very cheap stainless steel... it always rusted from the inside out.

My GL-10 failed after 3 years, muffler fell of coming off a sharply curved highway exit ramp... went end-over-end under the car lifting the rear wheels right off the ground... scary stuff. I'm not sure if they changed the composition of them, but in the rust belt, I wouldn't expect too much. I've learned since to get frequent undercarriage washes :)

#11 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:20 PM

How do you drive? A lot of short trips will allow condensate to eat it out from the inside. No best answer to your question.

#12 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:59 PM

How do you drive? A lot of short trips will allow condensate to eat it out from the inside. No best answer to your question.

That's true! Short runs don't dry the water out. A 3.5 mile city commute is probably why mine never lasted very long... so if you do long runs it'll help a lot.

#13 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:40 AM

Shell gasoline? Hmmmm, do they use water as an additive?

Mufflers usually go first due to condensation. I just out a new one on my 92 beemer, which is the first replacment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users