Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buckys sprung a bad leak!!

My baby has sprung a bad leak!! He has had a bit of rust around his windshield but it has officially gotten bad...Sitting nose down on a hill at a red light in the rain today I had a small river coming in from the top of the windshield....into my lap! When I got him home I looked at the outside frame around the window and the rust on the top has gotten bad. I dont want to just throw some silicone around it without doing something to keep the rust from spreading underneith. I can't remember the name of the stuff someone suggested to spray on there since I can't pull the windshield and do it the right way. Any help would be appreciated..I want to keep Bucky around for awhile longer and want to keep as little moisture from getting to the inside as possible. I mean this isnt a little drip..I tried to dry it off with some towels I had in the car and it didnt stop the flow at all..It was a constant trickle. But only when he is pointing nose down.

A strip of duct tape will at least slow down the leak for ya :-\

I had a toyota truck that did the same thing, and the duct tape fix kept all the water out till I git it fixed

I'll try to remember the stuff you are talkikng about and post the name if I can remember it

hanging out with an XT6 owner from hawaii yesterday. he had severe rust on the bottom of his windshield. he had the windshield removed, removed the rust and repaired it with fiberglass and reinstalled the windshield. sounds like you don't want to do all of that though. leaks can be a real pain in the rump roast to fix. i'd probably either fill it up with silicone (they make really runny kind that will flow into spaces) or pull the windshield and do it right. depending how long you plan on keeping the car.

leaks suck, wait til it starts smelling like mildew. mine leaked, i pulled all the trim and ran silicone along every freaking edge and corner of the windshield multiple times and it always leaked on one of my old soobs. no rust..not around the windshield anyway. thought i finally had it fixed when a guy was installing a windshield in my friends car. while he was there he said he'd fix mine for 10 bucks. he ran some sealant inside and out....didn't work.

Hi Connie,

The stuff is called POR-15. http://www.itkillsrust.com

Walmart also sells a spray that supposedly turns rust into black primer.

Poor Bucky! Keep him aimed toward the sky!

por 15!

thats the name of that stuff!!

It wotks pretty good as far as stoping the rust. Some of that around the windshield frame should take care of the rust peoblems, then seal the hell oput of the windsheild and the leaks should be gone

Thats the stuff..POR-15. Thanks guys!! Gotto try it.Then dig out my jumbo tube of silicone.

I was told that Bucky is jealous cause he is no longer the only man in my life;) and that leak is Subaru tears. Well..I told my other man that I very soon need to spend some time with Bucky but he is more than welcome help and do some bonding.(otherwise noted as Bondo-ing:brow: )

Thanks again!!!

Oh and grossgary...Thats what I would really like to do cause I want to keep Bucky forever...but in reality...I want to keep him till there is nothing left of him.

Paulyburger!!! Bucky is not like the ppl I live amongst....you know he is littlebit redneck..just like me!:lol: