Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Wagon Speakers

A small inexpensive amp so 35-50 watts x 2 would help with the sound issue not the tonality mind you but will definately help with the sound. Many amps that are ( inexpensive ) have speaker level inputs.. but the common ground thing will be a PITA without putting an aftermarket deck in the car but then you wouldn't need an amp..

I would put speakers in the front doors instead of the back. The location of the speakers in the rear doors is right up against the seats and it really dulls the sound coming out. I first put some there and just moved them to the front door and they sound a lot better. I also cut new holes in the front door. I found that if you mount right into the metal of the door it cuts down on the amount of rattle that you get. If you want speakers in the back i would put them in the hatch. if you take off the pannel you'll see two openings i screwed some 1/2" thick wood the the inside of the metal frame and mounted the speaker throught the pannel into the wood. To wire the speakers in the hatch i ran it inside the trim along the edge of the celing and then down the side of the rear window. The sound from a decent deck and four decent speakers is really good. I built a new consol for the deck out of some wood and then painted and fiberglassed it. It isnt the best looking thing but it works.

The dash speakers are unique..Your best bet is to go 3 1/2 coaxial and mfg a bracket but those sound very bad to me. I cut out some of the foam on the inside and got 4 1/2s stuffed in there and done sound to bad either, but you definately need something for midbass whether it be a set of 61/2s in the door or an 8" or two in the back.

Mike

The dash speakers are worthless, they are rated at 5w. Any new deck would blow them with ease. They are are pretty small too. If you found some 3" or so round tweeters or something they could probaly mounted in the stock spot and the cover would fit back on top. The passenger side one is behind the fake vent slots and is hard to get to. You are kind of stuck if you want to use the stock spots and use newer speakers. Since you are going to have to do something custom for the dash, you might as well go custom on the speakers too. I am making new door pannels for the bottom parts out of wood and they look pretty nice.

Sorry i dont have a digital camera. They are just pieces of wood paneling maybe 1/4" thick that i cut to fit the bottom section of the doors because i removed the carpet like stuff in the back and the cubby baskets in the from. I stainded them pretty dark and then glued them into place. I then mounted the speakers through the wood. I hope that i helped.

Ok the front dash speakers. The drivers is an oval 5" X 3" and the passenger is an oval 6" X 3.5". I'm not sure why the size is different but it's a pain to find speakers.

Here is a pic of the drivers side speaker out....

Thanks, thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

Hi Carfreak, All!

The dash speakers are a horrible PITA to get to as well as being odd-sized. Pretty unlikely that you will find decent replacements to fit in the stock locations. The doors don't lend themselves well to speaker installation, either.

I built a box to fit into the space between the rear wheels, and put in 2X 8" woofers, 4" mids, 2" dome tweeters. The woofers fire forward (against the back of the rear seat), and the mid/tweets fire backward.

Not the ultimate in HiFi, but easily implemented, easily removable when hauling cargo, and plenty loud so you can still hear music above the usual Subaru sounds at 65 on the highway. Aluminum mesh grilles protect the drivers from my dogs.

ByeBye! S.

• 8 months later...

Been continplating new speakers for in the '86 BRAT, 'tain't come up with much. Do know I gotta do something though. It has fuzzlated speakers in it now, barely handles the stock radio. Ain't going to work with the HU I have to go in it.

Keep ideas coming, Guys and Gals.........

Been continplating new speakers for in the '86 BRAT, 'tain't come up with much. Do know I gotta do something though. It has fuzzlated speakers in it now, barely handles the stock radio. Ain't going to work with the HU I have to go in it.

Keep ideas coming, Guys and Gals.........

The wedge speaker enclosures for 6x9's fit nice behind the front seats and you can leave all the stock speakers in for a easy return to stock should you decide to sell, etc later.

In my old wagon i got those $20 shucks boxes and wired them up. They will run of the deck just fine, and they sounded decent. At least they helped drown out all my "other" noises.

Got boxes for the back, need to up-grade the speakers in them. Just looking for something up front too. Kinda like the front/rear-side/side thing in my music listening.

i might have been unique in what i did with the dash speakers but i put two 4x6 infinity kappa plate speakers in the dash in the stock locations. The passenger side was a direct bolt in deal while the drivers side i had to make a custom bracket from the old mount so that i could put the speaker cover on it again and make it look stock. IF your interested in seeing how it turned out I might be able to go out and snap a few pics for you. It looks stock until you look into the speaker areas and see GOOD speakers there. Good luck with your stereo install. Ive done two stereos in these EA-81s and there a pain in the a**.