Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Wagon Speakers

hatchsub, I'd love to see some pictures of your speaker install. I have an 89 hatch that I'm looking to upgrade. Thanks

Second on that one. I would have used 4x6s except that the ones I had were too deep for the passenger's side location and the driver's side location is a 3x5.

Second on that one. I would have used 4x6s except that the ones I had were too deep for the passenger's side location and the driver's side location is a 3x5.

Yeah I'll admit there was def some difficultly in getting a 4x6 to fit where a 3x5 once was but it fit...just barely. I'll see if i can borrow a friends camara and run out to the car a grab a couple of shots of it for you guys. It may take me a bit to do but ill come through! I didn't have a problem with depth on the passenger side even though the Infinity Kappa's i used are somewhat deep. There is only a vent tube behind the passenger side speaker if my memory serves me right. Or were you talking about interference with the top of the glove box?

In my current sedan I am mounting 3x5 plate speakers in the front doors an 5 1/4 in the back doors. I am also running 6 1/2 subs in the rear dash. I am going to use the stock passenger side speaker in the front for the CB radio speaker. I never had a driver side front speaker, just the little tray insert.

Yeah I'll admit there was def some difficultly in getting a 4x6 to fit where a 3x5 once was but it fit...just barely. I'll see if i can borrow a friends camara and run out to the car a grab a couple of shots of it for you guys. It may take me a bit to do but ill come through! I didn't have a problem with depth on the passenger side even though the Infinity Kappa's i used are somewhat deep. There is only a vent tube behind the passenger side speaker if my memory serves me right. Or were you talking about interference with the top of the glove box?

Ask and ye shall receive. I just went out and shot a few pics of the stereo for everyone. Click on the link in my signiture and go to page 3. If you have any more questions don't hessitate to ask. Ive done 2 stereos in these cars so its not too big a deal anymore.

Im sure if I really tried harder then i could have done it so that fuse box didn't move. I figured it was either that or cut a hole in the door. I chose that of course..lol. It fit in there once I stripped some of the foam padding off the walls of the dash on the inside. It JUST fit though. There is no space to move it from side to side. Also when putting it in, i had to take the fuse box out and put the speaker in through the bottom. I was lucky that everything lined up enough for me to bolt it down.

Ask and ye shall receive. I just went out and shot a few pics of the stereo for everyone. Click on the link in my signiture and go to page 3. If you have any more questions don't hessitate to ask. Ive done 2 stereos in these cars so its not too big a deal anymore.

I likes it!! I feel a dent in the savings account coming........

Yep, it's an 89 hatchback, last year for the EA81. Thanks again for the help and the offer for more help. Anything's better than the blown little junk speakers in there now. I don't think 6 1/2s will fit in the rear, but I'll be inspecting that soon. I may go with 5 1/4s I already have.

My first install was in an 86 EA-81 hatch. The rear speakers are 4 inch rounds. They're junk and you'll never get great sound with speakers that small. Only options are to cut the holes bigger and put the 5 and a quarter speakers like you said or forget about stock mounts and get some speaker boxes for 6x9's. But, when doing all of this, dont touch the factory wiring. Its junk. They had a common ground for all the speakers so the best thing to do is just unplug the factory speakers and tuck the wiring out of the way. Then go get some good speaker wire and throw wires to each speaker. Going to the rear speakers you are going to want to remove the kick panels and run wires under there. The front speakers are easy since there close to the the headunit. Just run some wires where ever you want to make it look cleanest. Literally the only thing that i used from the stock wiring was the power wire when the ignition is turned on. I just plugged into that. I didnt even trust the factory ground and instead grounded it to the transmision hump. For the constant power (the one that saves all your presets when you turn the car off) you are going to have to run a wire to the fuse box and search around for a fuse that is always hot even when the ignition is turned off. Sorry for writing a book but i just want to save you from making the same mistakes i made the first time i wired up a stereo in one of these cars. Good luck again!!

Wow, thanks. I had just noticed that the factory wiring had the common ground problem and I now agree after reading your post, it'll be easier just to run new wires. Thanks for the rear speaker dimensions...I wasn't sure how big, but I new a 6 1/2 wouldn't fit. Good thinking with using your own ground too, I hadn't thought of that, but seeing how thin the factory wiring is, I think that would be best. I'll let you know if I run into any problems. I foresee cramming the 4x6 plate into the driver side front will be fun, but if you did it, it's possible. I have the radio installed in the trimmed plastic and the storage bin shoved into the old radio location. Now to the speakers and wiring. Thanks again

No problem. Keep me posted. Im curious how yours turns out. And the main reason that i grounded it myself is i don't really trust 22 year old wiring for a modern stereo. I have peace of mind knowing that all the wiring for mine is new (except for the ignition power)

• 2 months later...

I too am interested in a modern stereo option for my ea81, 1987 Brat. I would like to make the stock stereo compatible with my ipod and think I have found a solution. Here is the link for a wired fm modulator, http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/howToGetItTab.do?c=1&zip=21201&oid=80974#tabs

radioshack sells an rca to 1/8 adapter to complete the setup. That said, is the stock am/fm setup cabable of having new speakers wired to it that aren't common ground?

I too am interested in a modern stereo option for my ea81, 1987 Brat. I would like to make the stock stereo compatible with my ipod and think I have found a solution. Here is the link for a wired fm modulator, http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/howToGetItTab.do?c=1&zip=21201&oid=80974#tabs

radioshack sells an rca to 1/8 adapter to complete the setup. That said, is the stock am/fm setup cabable of having new speakers wired to it that aren't common ground?

I wouldn't use the stock head unit period. It puts out about 4 watts total power. A basic cd player is inexpensive and you will notice a difference.