Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No heat

This is a 86 Hatch.. anyway on with the Qs.

When the car starts to become warm i have some heat but luke warm at best. The heat only lasts about 2-3 minutes then becomes cold. the heater core has been flushed with hose and system flush. after driving for a while (15 minutes or so) the car surpasses normal and climes half way between normal and hot and heater doesn't help. Does anyone know how to figure out whether it is the heater core or the water pump? The T-stat has been replaced recently and I have a few others I keep around to test just in case.

Possibly related.

Every morning especially when it's cold outside there is a whirring noise almost a whine but lasts about 15 seconds.

Mike

Could be your thermostat. I had similar symptoms right after I did a flush job, and installed a generic thermostat. Replaced it with a Genuine Subaru stat, voila.."Just like Downtown":grin: .

(Many thanks to South Shore Motors for staying open a few minutes extra on Xmas Eve for me)

I guess i will have to try and make to the Suby dealer after work tomorrow.. I think I would like to have some heat again.

Yup still around..Saw you hauling the big brat yesterday and and didnt realize it till you were past me. I am gonna have to make some time to BS sooner or later and check out the new house..

Mike

since this happens

the car surpasses normal and climes half way between normal and hot

Then I am inclined to think you have a air block in the core.

Get her nose high in the air with it warm and running and see if she'll burp herself.

Might try putting a "flushing "T"" in one of the heater hoses.

Make sure the valve is all the way open,

I believe you will find this close to the bulkhead on one of the heater hoses under the bonnet.

The cable could has slipped it's mooring.

How come we see all these non factory T-stats in question?

answer

Maybe they're J _ _ K?