Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New post for an old topic of mine...Head Gasket LEAK!!!

Hey all,

Haven't checked in for a while, but my last posts were AFTER I had the "conditioner" put in my car to stop an external head gasket leak. Here's the new part.

After that for a short while, things were fine. However, I began smelling antifreeze again, this time on the OUTSIDE of the car. Took it back to the same dealer, asked them to check. Guess what...no leaks that they could see. Goodbye.

Couple of months later, same deal. Still smelling it. Took it to ANOTHER dealer who pressure tested it. Can't find a leak. Felt a little better, but couldn't understand why I still smelled the antifreeze. They don't know either. Goodbye again.

Checked my coolant yesterday and it is about 1/2 inch BELOW the fill line. Called the second dealer and the service manager told me I am giving way too much credit to the overflow tank and fill line. It is supposed to vary. I asked why it is even there then, of course, no real response. I am taking my car in ONCE more because I STILL SMELL THE SWEET SMELL OF COOLANT!!! I told the service manager that my last Subie (which I owned for 9 years and sold with 136K on it) NEVER smelled of coolant, EVER. Not supposed to.

Will keep you posted! Help me out if you can with any suggestions or similar stories.

Hey all,

Haven't checked in for a while, but my last posts were AFTER I had the "conditioner" put in my car to stop an external head gasket leak. Here's the new part.

After that for a short while, things were fine. However, I began smelling antifreeze again, this time on the OUTSIDE of the car. Took it back to the same dealer, asked them to check. Guess what...no leaks that they could see. Goodbye.

Couple of months later, same deal. Still smelling it. Took it to ANOTHER dealer who pressure tested it. Can't find a leak. Felt a little better, but couldn't understand why I still smelled the antifreeze. They don't know either. Goodbye again.

Checked my coolant yesterday and it is about 1/2 inch BELOW the fill line. Called the second dealer and the service manager told me I am giving way too much credit to the overflow tank and fill line. It is supposed to vary. I asked why it is even there then, of course, no real response. I am taking my car in ONCE more because I STILL SMELL THE SWEET SMELL OF COOLANT!!! I told the service manager that my last Subie (which I owned for 9 years and sold with 136K on it) NEVER smelled of coolant, EVER. Not supposed to.

Will keep you posted! Help me out if you can with any suggestions or similar stories.

The coolant level in my car's overflow reservoir is always spot on the fill MAX line when everything has had the time to cool down EXCEPT when there is a sizable change in outside temperature. If it gets a lot colder the coolant level will be a little lower. At the same temp range it's always at the same place.

Hope that helps.

Well, well, well...guess WHAT?

Just checked into the old Subaru dealer. My engine is torn apart now and the head gasket is being REPLACED with my car having 27K on it. They finally found the leak that two places pretty much told me I was imagining.

Like I told them, I'v had a Subaru before for 9 years, never smelled a thing. It is NOT normal. I was right. I'll bring them a slice of humble pie.

Later fellow Subie lovers.

• 2 weeks later...

You may have said the magic words. The conditioner. I am in the process of filing complaint with Subaru. I maintain my 2001 Outback with the 2.5 Phase II engine in it impecably. I have done all the maintenece myself on it. WHen Suburau issued the conditioner bulletin I stopped by my local dealer, they threw it in and I was on my way. I just recently did the whole 105K maintence. Timing belt, water pump, belts hoses, thermostate etc.. I got myself a new bottle of conditioner, removed the 125ml of coolant, put in the conditioner and I was on my way. Wrong, 2 days later I noticed my tempeture gauge rising. Well, I actually blocked up my radiator. Nowhere does it tell you how to install the conditioner. My guess would be to do it while the engine is hot and then take it on a 1/2 hour trip. I did mine the night before and apparently the conditioner sitting in the radiator all night caked up...I had the same thing with the coolant smell. You may have a blockage that is letting pressure build up in the raditor and the coolant can be leaking by the pressure cap. Monitor it, because I ended up replacing my radiator, because the conditioner clumped up. Word to the wise be careful with the conditioner, it is really nothing more then a "stop leak". Yes, it does have conditioners in it while can prolong the life of the HG, but becareful. I have not added it yet since I changed the radiator, but I probably should, but I am not sure what to do...If any one else has their 2 cents let me know.