Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire size without cutting fenders?

Bratenstein

I read the faq about tires, but I was wondering what the limit was for tire diameter on a Gen 2 Brat? Any experience would be useful, but let's assume that I am going to have a 3" lift (or maybe the 4/3 kit, which should help clearance more).

I was toying with the idea of 15 x 10 rims and putting 30-31 inch Super Swampers on. The rims have 3.75" back set, so I am not sure whether they will need a spacer. Is that too much for my stock drive train? Would I still need to cut the fenders? Do I sound like I am under the influence?

I know someone had a post about Super Swampers before, but I think they were on narrower rims (7-8 inches). Are ten inch rims ridiculous? It would make a Brat look like those Tamiya RC models in real life. Could be cool or silly.

Well, if you're going with a lift kit it shouldn't be too hard to get something around 8-10 inches wide to fit. After that, and I think you might have to get some wheel spacers. You'll have to trim some, it's just a matter of how much trimming you want to do. The profile of the tire could also be a problem, I have some MAJOR trimming issues with my 28x8.5 tsl's because they have some BIG knobs on them, and they rub a bit. I wouldn't have to trim with the same size tire, but a smaller tread pattern. Hope this helps.

i mounted a 235/75/15 on my rig ,let it down off of jack stands and it would take a substantial amount of trimming to be able to wheel it.and it was not an aggressive tire at all.subarubrat has 10 inch wide rims and he seems to be alright.he also ran 31's or so with a six inch lift.i think raven has about 30's on his with a six.a couple of cats i talked to that wheel say that28's are pretty much the goodness as far wheelin goes.i guess it depends on if your gonna wheel or if you just want it to look pretty.i like the wide stance look also. i am going to use 15x7 rims with 215/75/15's ,and also trim for lots of room.it depends on what you want to do .in the past i have used a smaller tire with trimming and it proved to be very effective.you can still get clearance on a sube from 215's and you can always go bigger later.power issues are another thing.

I read the faq about tires, but I was wondering what the limit was for tire diameter on a Gen 2 Brat? Any experience would be useful, but let's assume that I am going to have a 3" lift (or maybe the 4/3 kit, which should help clearance more).

I was toying with the idea of 15 x 10 rims and putting 30-31 inch Super Swampers on. The rims have 3.75" back set, so I am not sure whether they will need a spacer. Is that too much for my stock drive train? Would I still need to cut the fenders? Do I sound like I am under the influence?

I know someone had a post about Super Swampers before, but I think they were on narrower rims (7-8 inches). Are ten inch rims ridiculous? It would make a Brat look like those Tamiya RC models in real life. Could be cool or silly.

For a 31x10.5 you will want a rim with 3-3.5" backspace, and a 7-8" width. I have 31x10.5s on a 15x6" rim, but my 31s are skinnier than what is typical. Your tires will probably look ballooned out with a 10" wide rim. A rule of thumb is to be a few inches skinnier on the rim than the width rating of the tire. A friend of mine runs a 13.5" wide tire on a 10" rim and that is about perfect (no, not on a subaru ;) )

That said, theres no way you're fitting a 31" in there without ALOT of cutting and hammering, even with a 4" lift. Im not sure where the limit without cutting is for ea81s with 4" lift, but I'm guessing somewhere from 26-28" or 215/75/15. For this size tire a 15x6 rim with 3.75-4" backspace would be perfect.

i fit 25s on pug rims on my unlifted hatch with only a half inch of fender removal, near the front and rear of the front wheel wells.

they fit with no stock lift cranked in(till i got a 6 cylinder). i think 30s would fit with a 4 inch lift, and some fender trimming... alot of trimming. and bashing.

you realy shouldnt be afraid of cutting the fenders, its what almost all subaru owners have to do to get the tires you want...

i always figure it would suck to go through all of that work for a 4 inch lift, then run tires 2 or 3 inches bigger than stock wheels.

width is only a big deal because the fater tires will rub on the springs on your struts.

with 3.75" backspacing you lose a bit of fender clearance, add to that a 10" rim and you'll have to do massive "trimming" especially with 30's and up.

I have 29x10.5's on 7" rims with 3.75" b.s., 10.5" is about the max tire width you'd want to run on a 7" rim. I had to smash the inner fender metal in the front about 4-6" along most of the bottom floor box area and do a good bit of cutting. I still rub on hard bumps while turning and that's with 4" of lift and 2" rubber strut spacers/stiffners, If you go with larger tires than 29" a 6" lift is a must if you want to maintain good tire clearances, IMO.

Hey Trevor, you've got the same rims as me, they are actually 15x6 if you measure between the 2 inside edges (I'm told thats the way to get the actual measurement) If you measure outside to outside they seem like 15x7. ]

A "15x10" rim will actually measure about 11" wide actual width.

I have 31s on my 6" lifted wagon, and with my front suspension moved forward 2", they can still rub on the footwell area. I havent pounded really hard though, just folded the seam over.

if i used a set of stock 14" steel wheels,anyone know what's the biggest tire i could get before i have to lift it? right now she has 175/70/14s on.(equals out to just under 24" tires) yup kinda small :eek: no wonder i got beached the other day on a small snow/ice pile.

i'd do a trial an error fittment but no access to tire machine anymore.

Thanks for all the information--lots of great ideas. Today I found a set of 6-lug 15x6 alloy rims from an Isuzu at pick-and-pull. So I am going to go with the narrower rims based upon what you guys told me. It will be easier to get a tire to fit. I really appreciate the responses!