Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Funky gear ratio question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BeefaRu

BeefaRu

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • Denver

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:32 PM

I've been wanting to know this for some time, but not sure how to come up with an answer.

My wagon has an RX 3:7 dual range full time tranny in it. However, its been dropped to 4:11 to match up with the 4:11 LSD I have. So.....what ratio would that put the RX 1st gear into when in Low range? --E

#2 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:09 PM

What I want to know is where you got 4:11 gears for an EA82 tranny!

#3 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:33 PM

me too......your tranny has the lower numerical front diff. you need to swap the 4.11 LSD unit inside the pumpkin, into your RX rearend ring gear, the big one, there is a write up on how to do this, follow it to the "T" and you should be fine, and if not ask here.

~Josh~

#4 BeefaRu

BeefaRu

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • Denver

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:56 AM

I've been driving on this setup for the last 7 years, but I've never known exactly "how" low the 1st gear is with this configuration. --E

#5 mikie

mikie

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 19 February 2005 - 05:34 PM

1st gear = 3.545 i think.
You need 1st gear x low ratio x final drive
so you have 3.545 x 1.196 x 4.11 = 17.425 overall ratio.

Maybe... a thought for those who want a 4.11 final drive, perhaps the FULLTIME 4wd RX box, like this man has is the same setup as the later RS legacy trans(also fulltime 4wd but with the lsd centre). If so, you can use the pinion shaft and crownwheel out of the ej20 box and slot them into the ea82 box, since the pinion is on the end of a longer shaft with splines for the centre diff.

#6 mudrat79

mudrat79

Banned

• Banned
  • 697 posts
  • Eugene,

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:53 AM

How did you verify your rear diff is 4:11....?

the diff sticker may not be true if your Mech.....was swapping things......What really needs to be done is a Spin test in the rear....to verify 3:70 or 4: 11 gear set.....

Or pull the rear and physically count teeth.....

I have been Researching this 4:11 gear swap into a Hi-Lo Box for Several yrs now.......I wish you were closer I'd Love to look at the work done to your Ride....

let us Know, John

#7 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:27 AM

John,

You'd be a hero if you could figure out how it's done! :headbang:

Go John Go!
Glenn,
82 SubaruHummer--needs lower gears.
01 Forester--needs D/R

#8 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,921 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:27 PM

Ive seen the car and rode in it with lo range engaged and its definately crawling slower than the 3.7's I have rode in. Im going to be looking into trying to do the same thing in the near future for my car if it works Ill share.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users