Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 lacking power

well today i went out to ckeck out how my timing was set since i have been noticeing that my 85 is lacking some power and when i got #1 to TDC and checked the dist instead of it pointing to 1 it was pointing a complete 180 degree turn from it to #2 now when i took it out and set it to # 1 the car wouldnt start at all, but when i set it back to the #2 it would crank back up again. i got it idleing somewhat smooth at about 1k rpm's, but i can hear a little miss when its runnign though, but it just lacks the power when i give it gas and i kinda notice a muffled ticking kinda sound, and not the ticking sound i usually hear from a soob. could it be that the timing belts are set wrong? what direction are both of the little dots supposed to face? is it both up or 1 up and 1 down? and help would be appreciated i really dont wanna go through pulling the cover off if i dont really have to but i may need to.

LOL, you had it TDC on number 4, 180 degrees out. The best way to find TDC for #1 is to pull the 1 spark plug out and put your finger in the hole. Crank the engine over and when your finger squirts out you know it is on the compression stroke. Your distributor should be facing the #1 plug wire, and your flywheel should say 0.

Of course it could have jumped time as well on the ca,m shaft that runs the dizzy(driverside)

ok maybe i didnt make much sense there i do that sometimes lol, i did the finger thing and got it tdc and made sure the mark on the flywheel was at 0 and the # 1 piston was all the way to the top when it was, and maybe i missaid the 180 degree thing looking at the crappy haynes manual it shows the one opposite #1 is #2 on the disty. and no i didnt time it myself the previous owner had done it not even 5 k ago so i didnt mess with that stuff. so anyone know which direction those cam? dots are supposed to face?

To find TDC on number 1:

Set flywheel to 0 degrees mark. Take off distributor cap. If the arrow on the rotor is pointing to the number 1 spark plug wire plug on distributor cap then it is on TDC for number 1 cylinder. If not, then turn flywheel a full 360 degrees until it reaches the zero mark again. The rotor should now be pointing to the number 1 cylinder spark plug wire plug. Don't forget to put the distributor cap back on.

well i didnt have a chance t day to check that stuff otu but i did take it out to do a few errands today, just a short run 50 miles or so lol. and noticed that when i pushed my foot down far enough on the gas to open the 2nd barrel of the carb it seemed to pickup quite a bit. im kinda wondering if all my probs are more related to a partially clogged injector than the timing.