Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which EJ has most torque at low RPM?

I am looking into what EJ engine to using in a Brat. I'm looking for lots of power around 1500 to 2500 RPM. Which EJ engine has the most torque at that low RPM?

What would a pod filter do to a EA81'a power with a few mods (check my sig)?

Can you get different cam's for different power placing? Does many people change there cam for offroading? I belive I have a modded cam in my EA81, I found that I get a real kick of power at about 3000RPM. Is that normal?

Thanks.

In the quest for higher HP numbers, Subaru keeps moving the torque peak higher in the rev range. My EJ-22 needs 3000 rpm to pull strong, my EJ-25 needs 3500 rpm. Neither one feels very serious at 1500 - 2500 rpm.

A 2-valve per cylinder (EA-81) with the stock cam advanced 4-8 degrees, compression bumped up to 10.5 or 11, timing advanced to maximum power, and running premium fuel should give you tractor torque from idle. Peak HP would be down, because it'll run outta air above 4500 rpm with the cam advanced 8 degrees.

I have no idea how you'd advance the cam though. Also keeping the intake manifold cool is key to preserving low-end torque, because the slow air movement in the manifold at low revs allows more time for the air to be heated. At 1500 rpm, the air lingers in the manifold 4-times as long as it does at 6000 rpm.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to need to get bonnet scoop and pod filter(s) (or is there a better type of filter I should get?) first. I really want power at the low end RPM as I don't want to be burning my clutch out too fast.

I really feel my EA81 picks up at about 3200RPM And really pulls along. Would a EJ22 do a hole lot for off-roading in my Brat? Or should I just keep trying to get my EA81 better? It would be really good to know what my EA81 has in it, but the guy I got the car off of didn't really have much of a clue when it came to to the engine. He just said he got it souped by a subaru wrecker. I think I know which one, maybe I'll ring them and ask what they done.

Just found this. Can anyone read that??? Does this kinda say anything? What the guy i got the car off of said I've put in my sig. I wonder if its true. I've only ever driven one subaru, I guess I'll have to check out how some others drive to compare.

invoice.jpg

Still not sure if i should do an engine swap..

PS, there Aus prices ;) The guy who modded the engine offerd $1500AUD for the engine just by its self. I thought that must make it have something in there :D:confused:

Thanks again.

It looks like a prescription for Tylenol w/ codeine. :D

Seriously though, the only way you'll arrive at an engine that's delivering solid volumetric efficiency in the rev range you're seeking would be to do a fair amount of hand crafting and custom tweaking. Reducing the internal diameter of the intake manifold runners will increase the charge velocity and serve to put a good ram effect into the lower rev range.

On the experimental aircraft disscussion groups, there's a lot of fertil ideas about getting EA-series engines to build better low rpm torque for use in direct prop-driven lightweight catagories.

On that same line of thinking, you might try something really kooky and shoehorn a Lycomming into your creation. Those beasts put out 250 -300 ft. lbs. at something like 2000 rpm, I'll try to dig up some exact specs. They're air-cooled which might require a fan & shroud arrangment. Then add a big-rump roast oil cooler to pull out more BTU's and bingo! :headbang:

It may not be a stright swap, but the engine mounts are the same as the rest of the ej serries (iam pretty sure), and it has the same trannie bolt pattern. None of the ej series would be a stright swap into brat all would require some serious wiring. It would be one crazy half shaft snapping brat tho, and if you got some stuff for the engine you could probley get it up to 260 + ft pounds pretty easiley.