Ultimate Subaru Message Board

welded front diff?

is it possible to weld the front diff of a EA82 d/r tranny? I took apart a legacy tranny today at work, and I'm amazed how easy they are. would it work for strictly offroad driving? or is this just pipedreams...

oh yea, what about the center diff?

you could weld the front diff, but i would not drive it on the road, and een off road. you won't be able to tufn very easily at all. and when you were turning the front would have alot of stress and most likeky break parts

If its an off-road only rig, with zero driving on the street, I say go for it. You'll be amazed at the stuff you can do. Just keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel :eek:

The standard dual range selectable fwd/4wd tranny has no center diff. Its already straight through. Only full time 4wd trannys have center diffs or viscous couplings.

Welded front diffs are great for straight forward driving. As long as you don't mind having the turning radius of a bus then go for it. It will cause the front to push/pull you in turns. I once saw a 4X truck with with a welded diff and he couldn't turn for squat. This was off road on the trail. I wouldn't do it personally but to each his own.

i know this is all relative to how much you like driving cars. i like my car with no interior, and reel loud exhaust. i like my solid motor mounts, rough idle, and all that funn stuff.

that said, i have driven my cousins mitsubishi eclipse, with the welded front diff. its not as bad as you would think. its a street car only. its only REELY hard to turn when he has the rear axles in, and all diffs are locked. then its straight line only. but with the front welded, its not so bad.

tire wear is however =]