Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intake Manifold Gasket labour estimate

Hi Soobers:

I have a coolant leak coming from the left side edge of the intake manifold. You can hear it as well as see it. I'd like to get an idea of how much labor would be involved in getting the manifold off and replacing the gasket? I want to make sure my shop is not grossly overcharging me for labor.

Thanks for any help, and no I'm not doing it myself because I don't have a place to work on it.

Cheers,

Gareth

$80~$100 plus parts for the dealer to do it....thats if its the SPFI or Carb system. I'll do it for $20 plus parts. ;) But you are a tad too far away. :-\

Hey in NC:

If I wasn't under contract for the next 6 weeks I'd take you up on the offer. I wanted to come down that way for a look around anyway. You estimate allowed me to relax a little. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago and this was not a problem then. I have a 93 Loyale 5-spd in pretty good shape with the exception of this and a Fr-R CV needed in the next couple of months.

Thanks again,

Gareth

$80~$100 plus parts for the dealer to do it....thats if its the SPFI or Carb system. I'll do it for $20 plus parts. ;) But you are a tad too far away. :-\

Hi:

Forgot to ask you, there is a bit of coolant leaking around that intake manifold gasket. Does that make sense? Air leak I can understand, fuel leak, but a bit of coolant?

Just curious?

Gareth

I have a coolant leak coming from the left side edge of the intake manifold. You can hear it as well as see it.

Romcat,

Are you sure it isn't leaking coolant from one of those little connector hoses on the intake manifold? They will leak when they get old and brittle. That would be a lot easier and cheaper to fix than pulling the intake manifold off (and possibly/probably breaking one or more of the six bolts holding it on).

Romcat,

Are you sure it isn't leaking coolant from one of those little connector hoses on the intake manifold? They will leak when they get old and brittle. That would be a lot easier and cheaper to fix than pulling the intake manifold off (and possibly/probably breaking one or more of the six bolts holding it on).

Not absolutely sure, but it seemed to be bubbling from the gasket. The hoses aren't that old. I won't be certain till I get it into the shop. One of my shops mechanics had a quick peek and he thought it was the intake manifold gasket. The guy I bought it from is their senior mechanic and he'll be back in a couple of days and have a look. I'd love it if it was a hose but It does kinda look like the gasket at the far left edge of the intake manifold (assuming you're facing the engine from in front of the car)

Anyway we'll see.

-Gareth

If you have some sun, and any mechanical aptitude whatsoever, you should do it yourself.

Six bolts (assuming they're not seized), lift it off, clean the surfaces well and slap in the new gaskets (best do both), bolt her back down.

Doesn't get much easier than that:drunk:

Hi:

Actually back in the mid-80's I was a motorcycle mechanic, but I have nowhere to work on it and no tools here.

Actually the mechanic I bought it from will probably fix it for me since I bought it from him only 2 weeks ago.

-Gareth

If you have some sun, and any mechanical aptitude whatsoever, you should do it yourself.

Six bolts (assuming they're not seized), lift it off, clean the surfaces well and slap in the new gaskets (best do both), bolt her back down.

Doesn't get much easier than that:drunk: